Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect my macbook pro 2012 to my imac 2009?

Hi, so I have a question.

I've just bought a macbook pro late 2012. The ones Apple upgrade every year. And I was wondering if it is possible to connect my macbook pro to my imac. I think it is 2009 but I'm not really sure. It is possible to connect my mac as a second display via thunderbolt (macbook pro) and mini displayport (imac)? And if it is possible how? Thank you very much!

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 2:12 PM

Hey danrsc,

The configuration you are describing (using an iMac as an external display for another computer) is known as Target Display Mode. For more information about Target Display Mode, including which model iMacs support it and what the requirements are for the source computers are, you may find the following article helpful:

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

Cheers,

- Brenden

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2015 2:12 PM in response to danrsc

Hey danrsc,

The configuration you are describing (using an iMac as an external display for another computer) is known as Target Display Mode. For more information about Target Display Mode, including which model iMacs support it and what the requirements are for the source computers are, you may find the following article helpful:

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

Cheers,

- Brenden

Can I connect my macbook pro 2012 to my imac 2009?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.