Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I insert symbols like the degree symbol (98.6 F) or symbols for the Greek alphabet?

I am trying to convert to Pages from MS Word. I am an engineer so I use symbols frequently to assist in keeping my notations clear. In Word it was easy; just insert symbol and choose from a list that was organized by origin alphabet. Recently used symbols would automatically be listed and you could create keyboard shortcuts for symbols if you desired.

What is the Pages equivalent to this? I have searched and cannot find anything in the menu and the best I could get is some language symbols are displayed by long press on certain alpha keys.

I am running OS-X 10.10.2, Pages 5.5.2(2120),

thanks in advance-

B

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 1TB SSD, 8GB RAM, 2.7GHz Intel i7

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 8:58 PM

Degree symbol ° is option shift 8.

The rest, it depends what it is. There are guides for typeable glyphs, the rest use:

Menu > Edit > Special Characters > and set up Favorites.

Peter

6 replies

Feb 12, 2015 8:59 PM in response to BTRENT

Try character viewer & keyboard viewer…

OS X Yosemite: Use the Character Viewer

Once the 'input menu' is enabled activate the option for keyboard & character viewer. Open the Keyboard viewer & mash the modifier keys 🙂

It will show you live what keys will produce extra characters.

alt+0 is degrees º

Character viewer is a massive list of other extended character sets, you will have to dig if you can's see the desired one, but many fonts contain many extra characters.

This is an OS wide feature, not just Pages, many apps support it.

How do I insert symbols like the degree symbol (98.6 F) or symbols for the Greek alphabet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.