Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen after HDD replacement

Hi,

after my 1GB Seagate hard drive died, I replaced it with a 2GB Seagate hybrid. While I had my 27" late 2009 iMac open, I also replaced the optical drive with an SSD, as per the instructions posted on iFixIt. The whole thing was quite easy to do. However, after the upgrade my computer turns on -- there's no start-up chime but the fan comes on -- but the screen just stays blank.

I went in there again and checked that all four cables that connect to the screen were properly plugged in. I can see the two installed drives in FW target disk mode. But the screen stays black.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

TKV

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), late 2009 iMac

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 3:34 AM

9 replies

Feb 13, 2015 3:55 AM in response to teekayvee

Obviously, not that easy. No startup chime and The screen is still dark.

You missed a connection somewhere or you connected the new drives up wrong.

This is the problem with DIY IMac repairs, there are lots of finicky connections that need to be made sure of as well as connecting up the correct connections to the various drives.

If you are not getting a startup chime, then something is definitely wrong, not connected or mis connected.

You'll need to tear down your iMac, again and this time watch the iFixit videos closely to make sure you have everything connected up properly and you didn't miss anything and reassemble the iMac.

If you installed non-Apple drives, be advised that once your iMac is running, again, you will need to install a software fan controller as no non-Apple drives have the need temp sensor connection, unless your model had a temp sensor connections that were taped to the exteriors of the drive enclosures.

Feb 13, 2015 4:21 AM in response to teekayvee

Not Sure.

I just watched a video on the hard drive install process from OWC (macsales.com)

You may want to check this out and maybe consider ordering the special temp sensor cable needed for your non- Apple drives to work without resorting to using manual software fan controls (unless you use a Software fan control, already).

Make sure you didn't miss any of the screen connections and make sure that the video sync cable has locked into place.

Here is the video I watched.

Make sure you did every thing that is outlined in the video.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_late27_2009_hd_h/

Feb 13, 2015 4:30 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

Not Sure.

I just watched a video on the hard drive install process from OWC (macsales.com)

You may want to check this out and maybe consider ordering the special temp sensor cable needed for your non- Apple drives to work without resorting to using manual software fan controls (unless you use a Software fan control, already).

Make sure you didn't miss any of the screen connections and make sure that the video sync cable has locked into place.

Here is the video I watched.

Make sure you did every thing that is outlined in the video.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_late27_2009_hd_h/

Thanks. I watched that video too, prior to disassembling the iMac, and was surprised how easy the whole thing, overall, though you do need to take your time. But now I'm stumped with that blank screen.... also wondering whether I might have fried the logic board. I was wearing anti-static gloves but had to take them off at some point to disconnect a cable that was finicky.

Oh, additional data point: the iMac doesn't start up from an external drive.

Feb 13, 2015 4:34 AM in response to teekayvee

I just realized (it's early morning here for me, too!),

The Mac may not do anything or chime if the none of the drives have been formatted and an OS X has not been installed, but again, I am not sure about this either.

If you are using FW target disk mode from another Mac, you should be able to install a OS X system from that Mac to the new drives on the IMac.

Have you formatted the iMac's new drives and installed a version of OS X, yet?

That could be part of the issues.

Feb 13, 2015 4:47 AM in response to teekayvee

'I was wearing anti-static gloves but had to take them off at some point to disconnect a cable that was finicky."

I do not know. As long as you touched something other than the iMac after taking off the gloves and you are not working on your iMac in a room with a carpeted floor, I do not see how you could've fried the logic board.

Again, not as simple as they show if something is done not right or missed or something else happened.

The problem is now you have to figure this out yourself, as of now, Apple or an Apple Store will NOT repair this now as there were no "officially" user serviceable items inside of an iMac for users to be replacing and you have broken into your iMac.

If you can't get this iMac working, then your only option is to find an Authorised Apple reseller/repair/service center to diagnose and give you the reason your iMac is now, no longer working after you made these alterations and have them do the work.

Feb 13, 2015 4:58 AM in response to teekayvee

If you have a white, retail OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard disc, you should be able to use the other Mac's optical disc drive to format the iMac's drives and install OS X from that optical drive to the iMac's drives when in FW target disc mode.

If no startup chime, before you tear down again, try and SMC reset.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

'Oh, additional data point: the iMac doesn't start up from an external drive."

If there is a full OS X system on your external hard drive, try holding down the option key at startup to bring up the startup Disc Manager.

This is about all I have for things to try at this point.

Good Luck to you!

Feb 13, 2015 7:33 AM in response to MichelPM

Many thanks! Tried all of this, to no avail.
I took the display off again to double-check all the cables. The heat sensor cable from the optical drive -- which I'd replaced with an SSD -- was plugged in the wrong way around, and now the fan no longer starts up first thing after I turn on the machine. But the screen is still dark. The HDD works, I can hear it, and both the HDD and the SSD (formatted for OS X installation and with the installer on it) are visible to another computer in FW target mode.

Mar 27, 2015 1:28 AM in response to teekayvee

Just wanted to provide an update on this, for those facing similar problems. It turns out that the LCD cable was askew where it attaches to the LCD, and the v-sync cable appears to have been damaged (not visibly though). After straightening out the former and replacing the latter, my 2009 27" iMac is purring along better than ever.

Black screen after HDD replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.