Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert mov to MPEG4

What will you recommend to convert to MPEG 4 files? Want to make old "dvd" available on stick/hard drives with USB port for TV/Projectors/PC.

Thank you

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mac Book Pro, IPad, IPhone

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 4:50 AM

First you need to rip the movie from the DVD. Most people I know use either MPEG Streamclip or Handbrake. Both are free, but MPEG Streamclip will also require the purchase of the MPEG@ Quicktime Playback Component from Apple @ $20; installation of that component is a little bit of a chore. While I believe the quality of the ripped movie is better from MPEG Streamclip, Handbrake is easier.

As to the best settings, I would change as little as possible in the format (resolution, frame rate). Since you're dealing with SD, I would imagine that a bit rate of about 1 to 1.5 Mb per second will be about right. Handbrake outputs a type of MP4 with x.264 codec, which may not play on your set. Because there are no universal standards for TV playback of video files, you will need to test. If it doesn't play, you should download the x.264 decoder and convert it to h.264 in either Compressor or Streamclip.

Good luck with the project.

Russ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2015 4:50 AM in response to Annemarie Reitsma

First you need to rip the movie from the DVD. Most people I know use either MPEG Streamclip or Handbrake. Both are free, but MPEG Streamclip will also require the purchase of the MPEG@ Quicktime Playback Component from Apple @ $20; installation of that component is a little bit of a chore. While I believe the quality of the ripped movie is better from MPEG Streamclip, Handbrake is easier.

As to the best settings, I would change as little as possible in the format (resolution, frame rate). Since you're dealing with SD, I would imagine that a bit rate of about 1 to 1.5 Mb per second will be about right. Handbrake outputs a type of MP4 with x.264 codec, which may not play on your set. Because there are no universal standards for TV playback of video files, you will need to test. If it doesn't play, you should download the x.264 decoder and convert it to h.264 in either Compressor or Streamclip.

Good luck with the project.

Russ

Convert mov to MPEG4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.