Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme keep disconnects Windows VPN connection

Hi.

I just bought Airport Extreme 2013 (802.11ac) and installed, and connected Windows home server for PPTP VPN via gigabit wired.

Of course ports are forwarded 47, 1723 for PPTP.

But AEBS keep disconnect PPTP Windows VPN connection.

When I connect to the VPN, it connect. But only 15 seconds. After 15sec, automatically disconnected. I tried from my phone, my laptop, my office,

3G network, none of that longer than 15sec.

Also I tried forward the port 50, 500, 1701, 4500 but nothing changed.

It's not the server problem, by the way. Currently I gave up using AEBS alone. I set older router for DHCP and port forwarding(of cource, VPN works perfectly) and under that, AEBS is just for Wi-Fi bridge mode.

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 5:54 PM

Apple routers are notorious for not caring over much if some protocol or other is broken.. vpn has had continual issues with firmware changes.

Unfortunately for your AE 2013 firmware was a one way affair so you can never even revert to earlier firmware..

Sorry but it is simply unsuitable to use as main router.. keep it for bridge wireless use..

and under that, AEBS is just for Wi-Fi bridge mode.

Exactly the correct setup.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2015 5:54 PM in response to ma1heur

Apple routers are notorious for not caring over much if some protocol or other is broken.. vpn has had continual issues with firmware changes.

Unfortunately for your AE 2013 firmware was a one way affair so you can never even revert to earlier firmware..

Sorry but it is simply unsuitable to use as main router.. keep it for bridge wireless use..

and under that, AEBS is just for Wi-Fi bridge mode.

Exactly the correct setup.

Feb 13, 2015 7:40 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for reply.

I assumed - yet dont wanna believe - this is regular situation.

Because everything is normal and even connection actived for exactly 15 sec. It seems like intended behavior.

Forwarding VPN ports are I think not much difficult to do. All I can think left is, Apple just hate Windows services, even make "$200 router" dont support industrial standard much. I love you Apple!

Airport Extreme keep disconnects Windows VPN connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.