Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina 13 Late 2013 Thunderbolt connection loose

Hi

We received some new Thunderbolt 27' screens at work, first time ive used this port on the macbook pro 13 and as soon as I moved it, screen went off, so I played with the connection and tried again, same problem. Although the connection seems loose its like there is a short going on in there or pins are malfunctioning.

I have tried both ports and the one next to power connector seems more off a problem the other is ok but both exhibit the issue when laptop is moved slightly.

Has anyone seen this issue?, its running OSX Mavericks.

I have tried SMC and NVRAM resets to no effect.

I am still within my 1 year Apple warranty so do they repair/replace the motherboard/ports or the whole laptop if found to be faulty?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 5:49 AM

1 reply

Feb 15, 2015 6:58 AM in response to akz786

Hi akz786,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like if you move certain things the screen will disconnect. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays - Apple Support

Check connections

When using an external display be sure to check the following:

1. If you're using an Apple notebook, confirm the AC power cable or adapter is securely connected to the computer and the cable providing power to the display is also secure. It is always good to have your notebook connected to AC power when an external display is in use.
  2. Confirm display adapters are fully seated in their respective connections and that they are supported models and for the computer and display. Refer to these articles to assist you with adapter compatibility and further configuration information:
  3. Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
  4. Try unplugging the video adapter or cable and then plug it back in.
  5. If more than one video adapter is in use (or "daisy-chained"), troubleshoot by using only one adapter.

Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.

6. If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).

Cheers,

Mario

MacBook Pro Retina 13 Late 2013 Thunderbolt connection loose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.