Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Replacements/Keyboard Shortcuts not syncing across devices

I had it working with Mac OS Mavericks and iOS 7 perfectly, but since upgrading to Yosemite and iCloud Drive my Text Replacements/Keyboard shortcuts snippets (found under System Preferences>Keyboard>Text in Mac OS and Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts on iOS) are not syncing across my devices (iMac with Yosemite, MacBook Pro with Yosemite and iPhone 5 with iOS 8).

Documents are syncing fine though.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can any one provide a way to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance,

Gustav.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 9:35 AM

4 replies

Jul 7, 2017 10:08 AM in response to gustavomd

Greetings gustavomd,

I had been plagued by the same issue for years. I finally followed some directions that I found online that I will share below (would copy and paste but I lost the link).

1. Backup your machine.
  2. Go to System Preference/iCloud
  3. Toggle iCloud Drive (see attached image)
  4. Select to keep copies of your documents and photos on your Mac
  5. Change your password if you need to.
  6. Restart your machine.
  7. Toggle iCloud back on.
  8. Restart once again.
  9. Wait awhile (I did steps 1-9 and went to bed. The next morning is when I checked) - and BOOM your text shortcuts are back!

NOTE: When I first did the iCloud toggle my desktop files disappeared! But I checked my iCloud drive on my iOS devices and the files were still there. So I chilled to see what would happen. When I got to step 9 they were all back.

Hope that does the trick. Text replacement is awesome. BTW I use TextExpander in addition to the Apple system text replacement, what can be done with dates and forms I find liberating and powerful. I have never had a conflict between the two.

User uploaded file

May 22, 2015 12:03 PM in response to gustavomd

Same experience here. I've tried the following: disable Predictive typing on iOS; log out of iCloud on my OS X and iOS devices and log back in — nothing has helped. Really frustrating. I've come to accept the fact that when it comes to cloud services, Apple just can't figure it out — either it's too slow, unreliable (temperamental) or it simply does not work.

Jul 7, 2015 12:17 PM in response to gustavomd

I have been experiencing the exact same issue - worked fine in the past before Yosemite (perhaps before the OS X version just before Yosemite as well... not 100% sure when it actually stopped syncing)

I've done just about every troubleshooting step I could think of to no avail... 😟

This is something I use(d) every single day for work, and quite frankly, it was one of the more important reasons I continued to use Apple Products for my business purposes.
Any ideas for a workaround or plans to fix this from the dev side?

Text Replacements/Keyboard Shortcuts not syncing across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.