Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud says iphone is online but can't locate it

I have just set up a new iphone 6 and changed my password. All apps with passwords have been changed to the new one. I can access icloud find my iphone says it is online but doesn't locate it. Another iphone beside me can access and locate hers. Any fixes? Or is it a bum iphone.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 10:02 AM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2015 8:51 AM in response to darylfrombokoshe

Good Afternoon darylfrombokoshe,

If you are having issues with the Find My iPhone application, take a look at these resources to make sure all of the settings are correct and how to troubleshoot this service.

iCloud: Set up Find My iPhone
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2697

Before you can locate your devices , you need to set up iCloud and turn on Find My iPhone on each of your iOS devices and Mac computers. Find My iPhone requires an iOS device or Mac that meets minimum system requirements .
Important: To see all your devices in Find My iPhone, use the same Apple ID to set up iCloud on each of your devices.

Set up an iOS device

1. On your device’s Home screen, tap Settings, then tap iCloud.

If you’re asked to sign in, enter your Apple ID or, if you don’t have one, tap Get a Free Apple ID, then follow the instructions.

2. If Find My iPhone (or Find My iPad or Find My iPod) is turned off, tap to turn it on.

Tip: For added security, set up a passcode that needs to be entered before anyone can access the apps and information on your device. To set up a passcode, go to Settings > Passcode or Touch ID & Passcode. If your device has iOS 5 or iOS 6, go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock.

Set up a Mac

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.

If you’re asked to sign in, enter your Apple ID or, if you don’t have one, click Create new Apple ID, then follow the instructions.

2. If Find My Mac is turned off, select it to turn it on.

Tip: For added security, make sure your user account requires a password and that automatic login is turned off in Users & Groups preferences. For more information, choose Help > System Preferences Help.

If you’re a member of a Family Sharing group, you can also use Find My iPhone to help find and protect your family members’ iOS 8 devices and Mac computers with OS X Yosemite. Family devices and computers must be set up to share their locations with other family members.

• In iOS 8: Go to Settings > iCloud > Share My Location.

• In OS X Yosemite: Open iCloud preferences, click Manage Family Sharing, then select family members one at a time.

When you set up Find My iPhone, Activation Lock is turned on automatically. Activation Lock makes it harder for anyone to use or sell your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it’s ever lost or stolen. For more information, see the Apple Support article Find My iPhone Activation Lock.

If you’re having trouble with Find My iPhone, see the Apple Support article Troubleshooting Find My iPhone.

Last Modified: Feb 4, 2015

iCloud: Troubleshooting Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-is/HT204233

Device does not appear in Find My iPhone

This can occur if:

• The date on your device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch) is incorrect. Choose Settings > General > Date & Time to check and set the date.
  • Your device is not up-to-date. It needs to be running iOS 5 or later.
  • Your iCloud account is not configured on your device. Choose Settings > iCloud and enter your iCloud account information.
  • You have multiple iCloud accounts entered on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Only one account can have Find My iPhone turned on at a given time. Log in to Find My iPhone with your other iCloud accounts until your device is listed.
  • There's a scheduled maintenance or another issue affecting Find My iPhone. Check the System Status site to see if this is the case.
  • Your device has lost network connectivity. If you have access to your device, and it appears to have an active Internet connection, enable and then disable Airplane mode. If you continue to have issues, turn the device off and back on.
  • Find My Mac can only locate your Mac if it is connected to the Internet via a known Wi-Fi network. If your Mac is connected to the Internet only by an Ethernet cable, Find My Mac will not be able to locate your Mac.

"No location available," "Offline," or "Location Services Off" alerts

This can occur if:

• The date on your device is incorrect. Choose Settings > General > Date & Time to check and set the date.
  • Your iOS device is currently off or not connected to a data network (Edge, 3 or 4G, or Wi-Fi). Wait a few minutes and try again.
  • Your iPad (Wi-Fi only), iPod Touch, or Mac is currently off or not connected to a Wi-Fi network.
  • Location Services is not enabled on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch (Settings > Privacy) or on your Mac (Date & Time) preferences. Learn more about Location Services on your Mac:

OS X Mountain Lion or later

• You are located in a country where Apple does not offer this feature. This feature may not be available in all countries due to technical limitations or local law.

iCloud: Troubleshooting the Find My iPhone app - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-is/HT203384

iCloud: Troubleshooting the Find My iPhone app

When you set up Find My iPhone on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, you can use the Find My iPhone app on another device (such as your friend's iPhone or iPad) to locate your lost device, make it play a sound, display a message on its screen, or erase it. If these features don't work as expected, try the troubleshooting steps in this article.

General troubleshooting

Troubleshooting information is also available for the Find My iPhone service.

Outdated software may affect your ability to install or use the Find My iPhone app, so updating your software is the best way to begin troubleshooting.

If you're unable to sign in to the Find My iPhone app

If general troubleshooting didn't help, try these steps:

• Make sure that you're signing in with the Apple ID that you use with iCloud.
    When your device has been set up to use a passcode, you're asked to sign in only the first time you open Find My iPhone. To set a passcode, go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock (or Passcode & Fingerprint), then tap Turn Passcode On.
  • Try signing in from your computer: Go to iCloud.com, sign in, and select the Find My iPhone web app.
  • On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure that the date and time are correct.

If you get the message “No devices registered”

This message appears if no device is set up with your iCloud account and Find My iPhone is turned on. If you still have the device in your possession, go to Settings > iCloud and make sure that Find My iPhone is turned on.

If you get the message “Your device is no longer locatable”

This message means that Location Services was turned off on your device while you were using Find My iPhone to locate it. Find My iPhone won't be able to locate your device, but you can still use the app to take certain actions:

• Make the device play a sound
  • Display a message on the device's screen
  • Lock the device (using the Lock feature in iOS 5.1.1 or earlier, or Lost Mode in iOS 6 or later)
  • Erase the device.

Note: The ability to use Find My iPhone to locate your device on a map is not available in all countries. Locating your device on a map requires Maps data to be available in that area. All other Find My iPhone features will still work.

If the troubleshooting steps in this article don't work, follow the steps for troubleshooting the Find My iPhone service. You can also visit the iCloud support page, select your country, and choose a topic from the Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac category.

Last Modified:

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Feb 22, 2015 10:35 PM in response to darylfrombokoshe

I had the same problem. Phone showed online, was able to remotely ring and all. However, could never locate it after my first restore. I do a restore at least once a month, to clear unnecessary space and maintain system performance)

Below method seemed to solve it on my iPhone 6.

Settings --> iCloud ---> Tap on first row (showing iCloud ID details, mine shows Name and Email ID) --> Enter Password ---> Voila !! (Now I can track my phone from iCloud.com)

Hope this solves yours too ✅

Thanks,

Sonik

icloud says iphone is online but can't locate it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.