Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound Mac Pro 4,1 Yosemite

Hey all,

Been having intermittent sound problems with my 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 since installation of Yosemite. This seems to be a software bug with Yosemite, since I didn't have this issue with Mavericks and don't have it with my installation of Windows 7 in BootCamp on the computer.

What's happening? Depends on the day and the mood of Yosemite, it seems. right now, there is no sound, but if you go into system preferences to check sound output, it shows correct settings - sound device set as line out. Sometimes, system preferences shows no sound devices at all. Sometimes, everything works. Powering down and unplugging the computer for a minute sometimes brings it back. Sometimes that doesn't do it.

Really frustrating, as this is one of many problems with Yosemite. They should have called it OS X Death Valley. I also experience UI freeze ups, email sluggishness, overall slowing of the computer.

Please Apple, you need to stop worrying about features and concentrate on STABILITY of OS X. Sadly, I'm enjoying working in BootCamp in Windows 7 more than Yosemite. Would roll back to Mavericks if I figure a painless way to do so.

I also am warning friends and family to stay away from Yosemite upgrades.

2.66 Quad Mac Pro Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 12:27 PM

9 replies

Feb 13, 2015 5:19 PM in response to MarkHolmesSD

When the sound goes out, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Feb 14, 2015 9:52 AM in response to MarkHolmesSD

I have to echo what Mr. Davis wrote here: Apple does not actively look at/review what goes on here-it's more of a user-to-user forum. That being said, have you tried the following: PRAM zap-reboot computer, hold down Apple+Option+P+R while rebooting until you hear 2-3 "bongs", then let go of the keys,

repairing permissions-get Disk utility running, verify and repair permissions from that.

Audio MIDI-maybe something got stuck. Find Audio MIDI and see what your sound output settings are.

other than that, try resetting the PMU/SMC, which you can find out how to do here or by going to Apple's main support section

Although I may have had a few bugs with Yosemite, overall no huge problems. I have a Mac pro 3,1, which is, I'm sure older

Other than that-maybe think about reinstalling Yosemite. I'm sure that if you are patient, you will find an answer here, or your bug will be fixed.

JB

Apr 30, 2015 12:32 PM in response to MarkHolmesSD

So much for solved. Back to the original problem now. Sometimes a disk permissions repair will fix it for a couple days, then sound output will disappear again. Sometimes sound outputs will show in preferences, but no sound will come out, as well. Definitely a Yosemite bug, since it never happened in Mavericks, and there's never sound problems in Windows 7 on a Bootcamp partition. This is of course in addition to the other numerous Yosemite bugs.... Whatever happened to "it just works....." at Apple?

I'm considering just reinstalling Snow Leopard, but that leaves me unable to run the latest versions of FCPX and Pixelmator, the last couple of programs I'm really using in OS X, since Apple killed Aperture.... Maybe it's time to just go back to Windows entirely....

No sound Mac Pro 4,1 Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.