Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Upgrade to Yosemite, but Pages is requiring upgrade.

I am unable to upgrade to Yosemite at this time due to some work software I have on my system, but Pages 4.3 won't open any of my files because it is requiring me to upgrade to 5.2.2, but I cannot upgrade to 5.2.2 because it requires that I upgrade my OX to Yosemite 10.10. Help!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 2007

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 11:53 AM

7 replies

Feb 13, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Niel

The thing is, I have not loaded the new version on this system. I'm sure this is because I do have a few systems running Yosemite, and these systems are linked via iCloud (stupid on my part, I should have left the work machine as a stand-alone). I've never loaded Pages 5.2.2 onto this system, and this system is not running Yosemite at all, nor can it at this time.

Also, following the directions on there, I went into the Mac App Store under purchases, and the older versions of Pages are no longer there. It ONLY shows Pages 5.2.

Feb 13, 2015 12:35 PM in response to kmsimpson2000

You are not "required" to update to Pages 5 at all. Pages 4.3 works just fine in Yosemite. The problem you're having sounds like you have used a version of Pages 5 for some files & they can then no longer be opened by Pages 4.

You will need to open those files with Pages 5 & then export them as Pages 4 or Word to be able to again open them in Pages 4. I think the easiest way to accomplish this is to use iWork for iCloud to open & save/share the files. Then delete Pages 5 from all of your Macs & continue to use iWork '09.

Feb 13, 2015 3:29 PM in response to kmsimpson2000

Once Apple released Pages v5.5 (now v5.5.2) for Yosemite, the last Mavericks compatible Pages v5.2.2 was withdrawn from the OS X App Store. Whatever version of Pages v5 you presently have installed on Mavericks is as far as you can go now. The OS X App Store will tell you that there is a newer version of Pages (v5.5.2) available for update — provided you have Yosemite.

Yes, you will get advice dialogs from Apple about an updated version of Pages availability, whether you are using Pages '09, or Pages v5. These are not requirements, and can be ignored.

As Peggy succinctly pointed out, you cannot open Pages v5 documents directly with Pages '09 v4.3 (index.xml file missing dialog) without first exporting to Pages '09 document format from Pages v5. If you open a Pages '09 document in Pages v5, and an autosave occurs, that document belongs to Pages v5.

Documents you cannot open with Pages '09 v4.3 should be exported to Pages '09 from Pages v5. Then pretend you do not have Pages v5 installed. Do not double-click documents, or by default, they will be opened by Pages v5.

Feb 13, 2015 8:04 PM in response to kmsimpson2000

I did read your post, several times in fact. I stand by my answer. You are NOT required to update to Yosemite nor are you required to update Pages. Stick with what you are using.

Your post said you couldn't open some files with Pages 4. That means you had created them with or opened & saved them with some version of Pages 5 at some time. You do not need to install any version of Pages 5 to open the files. Use iWork for iCloud to open them & export/share them in a format Pages 4 can open. Word is generally best, even better than Pages 4 as Pages 5 make mincemeat out of Pages 4 files.

Cannot Upgrade to Yosemite, but Pages is requiring upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.