Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 Mini (10.10.2) 2.4GHz wifi will not connect, 5GHz fine

I have a new mini (december) that is running 10.10.2.

For months the wifi seemed to be fine (I was hard wired most of the time). But the other day I started having wireless issues.

I also have a MacBook air and multiple routers throughout the house.

On my MacBook Air (and all of the other clients in the house), every access point is visible, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I can connect to any of them without any problem. So I am 99.9% sure that the issue is not in my router or in my network.

The Mini cannot connect to the 2.4GHz router sitting 6" away. The Macbook Air can access it fine. All devices can see it and connect with no issue. The mini, however, cannot. I have a router in the living room, 2.4 and 5GHz. Every device can connect to either band, no issues. The mini can connect to the 5GHz from across the house. No issue. It, however, CANNOT attach to the 2.4GHz, just like it cannot attach to the 2.4GHz sitting next to it.

I replaced the office router with another 2.4GHz router, again sitting 6" from the mini. Every device in the house can see it and connect, the mini cannot.

I have done every bit of trouble shooting and keep coming back to the fact that the mini cannot connect to any 2.4GHz.

I check for visible wifi: The mini see 3 total (all in my house) the Macbook sees 10, the 3 in my house and 7 nearby.

I have set static IPs, changed channels and done just about anything and still, the 5.8GHz works fine across the house, the 2.4GHz keeps getting "connection timeout" errors and can't even connect, sitting only 6" away. I have shut down and removed a USB 3 drive and that has made no difference (the drive was always there, even when it was working.)

Just about anything that you can recommend on the router side (including swapping them out) has not worked, this is a mini hardware issue.

Any ideas?

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 12:23 PM

21 replies

Jan 13, 2017 10:36 AM in response to AustinBike

I've had this same issue with an Employee's Late 2014 Mac Mini. Out of the blue his wifi stopped being able to connect to his router. Took forever for me to narrow down that it wouldn't connect to any 2.4 networks. It would see them fine, but after awhile trying it would give a window that says "Unable to connect".
As another user here recently noted, using an external USB 3 device and having it sit on top of the left side of the top of the Mac Mini; it seems to maybe be related to this issue. This Employee had an external SSD in that position, but even when I unplugged it or moved it elsewhere we had the same issue.

What I find REALLY odd is that I booted that computer off a totally new OS install on an external drive and it STILL had the same wifi issue. So I thought for sure I it was a hardware break and would need to take it to Apple, HOWEVER...

As users had said in this thread, I erased the hard drive and did a total fresh install of El Cap, and then upgraded it to Sierra. And by golly the wifi works fine now! I don't know how that fixes it when an external fresh install would not fix it, but so far that has done the trick for me. Hope this can help someone else with this strange issue.

Apr 17, 2017 7:27 PM in response to lbarbjr

I started having my 2.4Ghz problems recently after I had purchased an external USB3.0 SSD and another external HDD both of which I placed on top of the Mac mini. Everything worked fine until I shut off the 5Ghz band to test other interference issues. That is when I noticed the 2.4Ghz signal was not working. I had called Apple support and the reps went through a number of things with me and finally concluded it was likely a hardware issue with the 2.4 Ghz antenna. Due to the distance to the nearest Apple service center I decide to keep on searching for other solutions including reinstall of macOS Sierra - no improvement. I did not put two and two together until coming across your information. I have removed everything off the top of my Mac mini and so far it now sees consistently the 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz wireless networks from my AirPort Extreme just fine. I will keep testing this for a few days but I suspect this is not a hardware problem per se, just a signal blockage problem. I don't recall seeing any information from Apple cautioning the users to avoid putting items on or near the Mac mini due to interference or signal blocking. I don't have any objections to this - the same idea that we are not to put items on or around our routers due to the antennas inside.

Mar 6, 2016 3:43 PM in response to AustinBike

I have been having the same problem. I bought my Mac Mini a year ago, but only began having the WiFi problem a few weeks ago. I have a small Seagate external USB hard drive sitting on top of the Mac Mini at the back in the center. After reading the posts in this thread, I moved it toward the right side near the front. Before I did that, it could see my wireless router and my printer. Now it can also see two of my neighbors routers. It could see those in the past, as well as others from time to time. I don't know if this will clear up the problem for good, but that seems to confirm what you guys are saying about interference. But it had been sitting there all along. So, is this the antenna failing, or is it due to the OS?

2014 Mini (10.10.2) 2.4GHz wifi will not connect, 5GHz fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.