Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Genius Bar

Why can't I make a genius bar reservation online any more?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 2:22 PM

16 replies

Feb 13, 2015 2:30 PM in response to jacktheblacklab

You can from an iOS device though the Apple Store app (not the Apps Store - the Apple Store). If you don't have it on your iOS device, you can download it from the Apps Store.

And we don't know why you can't do it from an online website. We are users just like you, so have no special insight as to what Apple does or why they do it....

Cheers,

GB

Mar 25, 2015 2:11 PM in response to jacktheblacklab

You can, but only if you input the right combination of problems in the support website - I tested it with several scenarios; on most, I only got a chat or call back option - until I entered my problem as "does not power on" - that suddenly resulted in the Genius Bar option showing up. So, if you want to do it this way, you need to play around with the entries - at the end of the day, as long as you get an appointment set up, they don't really care why - unless you choose to indicate what the problem area is. You can start here:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Mar 25, 2015 2:55 PM in response to jacktheblacklab

A month ago I wanted to make an appointment for Genius Bar. I could not do so. I went to the Apple store early the next day without an appointment, and since I was there early, I signed up in the store and waited for a Genius for just a few minutes. When I told the employee I could not sign up for time online, I was told Apple wants you to call the phone number first to try to resolve the issue by referring to online discussions.

Since I am retired, I am able to get to the Apple store when it opens to get my name on the list. This is how I will handle my Apple problems in the future - forget signing up online and just go to the store.

Mar 25, 2015 3:24 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

The answer that Meg provided earlier is the way to go, via the Apple Store app on the iOS device. It is the easiest and quickest and does not require you to wait for an opening.

Though we have many similarities, Gail and I are, in fact, different people unless Gail's name is actually Meg in which case I'm completely confused. 😉

Mar 25, 2015 3:37 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

OMG, I'm sorry. I glanced and saw the cat, and just did the wrong thing. Please do not hold this against me. Now I probably have made two enemies! I beg both of you for forgiveness. 😊😕

I am honored to be mistaken for someone so nice as Gail. At first I was very confused as I have given pretty much the same answer, but it must have been in another thread. I thought perhaps it had been deleted. Then, I realized what had happened.

Mar 25, 2015 3:46 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for your reply! 🙂

I do not have a smart phone, only an iMac and MacBook.

I live in a city where there are two Apple stores within 15 minutes of my home. Going to the store is a reason for me to get out of the house. I can always use a computer on display to see what is new while I wait.

I also feel that it is easier and quicker for me to make the drive than it is to wait on hold when I try to call the Apple phone number shown on the Genius bar reservation page.

edit:

The benefit is that I can take my MacBook to show the Genius the exact problem I wish to resolve.

Mar 25, 2015 4:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, I am lucky! When I cannot find an answer using Help, System Preferences, asking questions in Apple's support community, at the Genius bar, or using Google, I send an email at night to my nephew - an Apple employee. I don't want to bother him unless absolutely necessary. And I don't want to post here with questions until I make a reasonable effort to resolve the problem myself.

He is responsible for my update from OS 10.6.8 --> Maverick --> Yosemite. He told me to update whenever Apple has an update. So I do.

Years ago I posted often in the Apple support community answering questions on the IIGS, OS 7, 8, and 9 forums. When I upgraded to OS X, I didn't know enough to continue helping here. It has been some time since I have posted here. In fact, Apple sent me OS 9, an Apple ballpoint pen I still have, and a small red Swiss Army knife with the Apple logo on one side. I still use this knife.

I've been using Apple products since 1990. A IIGS, a clam iBook for my son, an iMac, an eMac, an iBook for my daughter, a G5 for my son when he was in college, A MacBook Pro for my daughter in college (replaced the broken iBook), a new iMac for me, a mid-2010 MacBook for me (I won this in a penny auction on 6/19/11. It cost me $9.90 in the auction ending price, plus $1.73 in cost of my bids, plus $11.50 shipping, or a total cost of $22.32. The penny auction company went out of business, selling thier operation to another penny auction company. I also have an iPod touch that cost me $12.43 including shipping, and an iPod Nano for $13.65 including shipping.)

If I have a problem at the Apple Store, I ask to see the manager and show him my list of all the Apple products I have bought. I just assert myself in a very nice way at the Apple Store to get the service I feel I deserve as a longtime Apple customer. I also have an original Sony Walkman (this is the first type of Walkman that Sony sold in the U.S. I think I bought it in 1980 or 1981) FM stereo only, that still works that I turn on and let the store manager listen to.

Mar 25, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Webhead1990

That's funny. I used to have an old Sony Walkman FM only. I think in the last few years it has disappeared. I have a Walkman CD player that I have in my travel trailer that I have connected to the internal radio via RCA connectors that is still working just fine, so long as I don't lose the AC adapter. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 🙂

Genius Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.