Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EOS Utility Installer WILL NOT LAUNCH

I'm running OS X 10.10 and trying to install Canon EOS Utility 3.0.1b on my mac and every single time I click the installer in begins to extract, then blips in the dock for a split second....then nothing. I have no idea what the heck is happening. I've gone into my settings and made sure I can install applications from anywhere but it still refuses to launch the installer. I'm not even getting a crash report; it just opens and closes in the blink of an eye, and my SSD isn't THAT fast...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2011 i7 2.4Ghz, 16gb 1600mhz, SSD

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 5:20 PM

16 replies

Jan 19, 2017 1:05 PM in response to Olaf Seifert

Hello,

I seem to have the same problem trying to install the eum2.14.20a package

on 10.12.2.

On my account, it hangs and has the "Class CmdUtil is implemented in both ..."

message in the log file.

On a new admin account, same thing.

Changing the admin account's language and rebooting does not help.

Has anyone else hit this and managed to get past it?

Thanks,

Olivier

Mar 3, 2015 3:24 AM in response to Matteodavidking

Did you get to the bottom of this? I am having the same issue. Console comes up with this when I try and click on the installer:

03/03/2015 11:21:54.901 UniversalInstaller[968]: objc[968]: Class CmdUtil is implemented in both /var/folders/xh/r2hqj9bs45qb7s3_3h4dl50h0000gn/T/CanonOFI_TEMP/Data/Software/In stall/UniversalInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/UniversalInstaller and /var/folders/xh/r2hqj9bs45qb7s3_3h4dl50h0000gn/T/CanonOFI_TEMP/Data/Software/In stall/UniversalInstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/UIx.framework/UIx. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Please does anyone have any ideas?

Jul 19, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Matteodavidking

I had exactly the same problem. Talked both with Apple Support and Canon support. The Canon support suggested finally that there might be some problems with corrupt files connected to the user account. So... I created another user account with administrator rights and tried the same installation again and it worked perfectly!!

I guess that there should be a way to repair the corrupt files related to the first user account, but this worked fine as well.

Dec 9, 2015 4:04 PM in response to Matteodavidking

Hello everybody,

I’m not a photographer but an Apple Consultant and got faced to this installer problem at a client’s studio. It was really impossible to find any solution on the web other than „run the installer logged in into a newly created user account“.

This was the all satisfying solution for us:

• Go to System Preferences -> Language & Region
  • Change the primary language (I chose „English“)
  • Quit System Preferences

That’s it. The installer should run now. And it still should after changing the language settings back to its original state (for me it was „Deutsch/German“).

This is how I got there:

I found this entry in the console log looking like

<timestamp> UniversalInstaller[pid]: objc[pid]: Class CmdUtil is implemented in both /var/folders/**/******************************/*/CanonOFI_TEMP/Data/Software/In stall/UniversalInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/UniversalInstaller and /var/folders/**/******************************/*/CanonOFI_TEMP/Data/Software/In stall/UniversalInstaller.app/Contents/Frameworks/UIx.framework/UIx. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

I observed the directory /var/folders/ during my installation attempts and noticed a directory CanonOFI_TEMP was created and deleted again after just a second. (By the way „OFI“ stands for „OneFileInstaller“).

Logged into a clean user account when running the installer, the above entry about „CmdUtil“ has been generated, too. So this might indeed be a hint to something nasty, but was not causing the installer to work.

I removed the corresponding subdirectory of /var/folders/ and restarted the machine. Nearly everything has been recreated immediately after login into the „bad“ user account.

We already gave booting into Safe Mode a try, I examined the user specific preference files in ~/Library/Caches, ~/Library/Containers, ~/Library/Fonts, ~/Library/Group Containers, ~/Library/Preferences – all that stuff. I did not get any further.

Shortly before I was determined to give up I noticed that in /Users/Shared Items several text/log files had been created that must belong to the several installation attempts we made. These text or log files pointed out the reason for the malfunction of the installer:

These log files contain information about the account the installer had been invoked with. So I was able to assign each file. The log files created by the „bad“ login session stopped recording installation events (because of the crash of the installer) exactly at the point where the log files created by the „good“ login session show information about the installation language.

Thereof I concluded that the installer must have problems to determine the system’s language and I changed its settings to reset it some way. And: It worked.

Honestly, I wonder how Canon’s support is not aware of this fact and just tell her customers to create new user accounts and leave the broken ones as they are…!?

Hope this helps anyone.

Greetings from Hamburg

Olaf

EOS Utility Installer WILL NOT LAUNCH

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.