Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one turn off an iPhone?

Just got an iPhone 6 and am unable to find an easy way to turn it off. There are no instructions in the online manual that I can find. I am used to turning my cell phone off - whether that be for the evening, overnight, or at a meeting or concert.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 2012 i7 3.4 GHz 16 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 6:22 PM

Hold down the sleep/wake button until the Slide to Power Off Screen appears, slide and off it goes. The sleep/wake button is on the side of the iPhone 6.

25 replies

Feb 14, 2015 8:27 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Additional comment here about the workings of an iPhone 6:

So last night I turned it off - great. I just turned it on and it would not be happy with just the touch ID - I had to "log in" twice: touch ID AND pass code. Is that how it is supposed to work? In order to avoid that, is there a way to leave it on, but disable absolutely everything on it (preferably with one 'kill' button)? Would the 'do not disturb' setting in conjunction with 'allow calls from: No one' be sufficient to effectively put it in a comatose state? And, last thought on that: would there still be background processes going on such as connecting with Apple's servers/checking on updates/whatever?

Feb 14, 2015 8:33 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Additional comment here about the workings of an iPhone 6:

So last night I turned it off - great. I just turned it on and it would not be happy with just the touch ID - I had to "log in" twice: touch ID AND pass code. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Yes, that's the way it's supposed to work. After a restart (and also after not unlocking it for some period of time I don't recall), you need to use the passcode.

If you put the phone in Airplane mode, it will disconnect all the connections to the outside world. The phone will not ring, you will not get email and messages.

Feb 14, 2015 8:38 AM in response to babowa

If Touch ID doesn't recognize your finger, you'll be asked to try again. After three attempts, you'll be given the option to enter your passcode. After two more tries, you'll need to enter your passcode. In addition, you'll need to enter your passcode to unlock your iPhone or iPad in these cases:

• After restarting your device
  • When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your device
  • To enter the Touch ID & Passcode setting

Feb 14, 2015 8:40 AM in response to babowa

Actually, putting it in Airplane mode is how I charge mine every night as Meg suggested. I do not need my device during the night, since I still have a home phone. Then in the morning when I get up, I take it out of Airplane mode and the notifications begin! I don't recall the time period either, but powering off and/or resetting the device requires the passcode to enter the device again. I think the time period of inactivity is something like 48 hours. I'm looking for it now.

EDIT: An excerpt from this support document. Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

If Touch ID doesn't recognize your finger, you'll be asked to try again. After three attempts, you'll be given the option to enter your passcode. After two more tries, you'll need to enter your passcode. In addition, you'll need to enter your passcode to unlock your iPhone or iPad in these cases:

• After restarting your device
  • When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your device
  • To enter the Touch ID & Passcode setting

How does one turn off an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.