Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use bootcamp without a usb

I want to use boot camp, but I don't have a big enough usb I don't use. I also don't want to buy a new one so is there away to use boot camp without a usb or cd

Specs

Imac late 2014

Mavericks (10.9.5)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 7:31 PM

I am computer smart and I am aware of the requirements. I wanted to know if there was a third party or alternative way to do it without virtual box, parallels, ect. Why would you tell me to do something If it isn't what my question asks. IF YOU CANT SAY SOMETHING HELPFUL DON'T

96 replies

Mar 18, 2017 2:18 PM in response to Loner T

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 389.8 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Apple_HFS WIN INSTALL 5.9 GB disk0s4

5: Microsoft Reserved 16.8 MB disk0s5

6: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 103.3 GB disk0s6

/dev/disk1 (external, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Mac 502.4 GB disk1s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data Windows 2.5 TB disk1s3

There is the output, WIN INSTALL is the 3rd partition I was talking about.

Mar 18, 2017 2:24 PM in response to Lukebluetiger

Can you disconnect the external 3TB disk till Windows is fully installed, otherwise it will cause endless problems.

We need to do this manually first and then use BCA.

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC1 disk0s5

diskutil eraseVolume jhfs+ BC2 disk0s6

diskutil mergePartitions jhfs+ BCMP disk0s4 disk0s6

diskutil eraseVolume fat32 BOOTCAMP disk0s4

diskutil list

Feb 13, 2015 6:35 PM in response to RealNoNamer

You need a method to use the ISO (wherever it is located on your iMac) to be available across boots. If it is on a OS X file system and OS X is down or being rebooted, you will lose access. The USB can be used to put it on a media along with BC drivers. It needs to be 8GB.

If you have a 8GB USB2 stick, copy the current contents to the OS X side and save them, and use it for installing Windows, and once complete, reformat it and put the saved contents from the OS X side back on the USB.

Another option is to burn the ISO to a physical DVD and use an external Optical drive and on 2013+ Macs, you can directly install with BC Assistant.

Feb 13, 2015 7:27 PM in response to RealNoNamer

RealNoNamer wrote:

did you not read the post

I want to use boot camp, but I don't have a big enough usb I don't use. I also don't want to buy a new one so is there away to use boot camp without a usb or cd

From Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support

To install Microsoft Windows using Boot Camp, you need the following:

• An Internet connection
  • An administrator account in OS X to use Boot Camp Assistant
  • The keyboard and mouse or trackpad that came with your Mac (If they aren’t available, use a USB keyboard and mouse)
  • A minimum of 2 GB of RAM, 30 GB of free disk space are recommended if you are installing Windows for the first time, or 40 GB of free disk space if you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows
  • An authentic Microsoft Windows full install disc or ISO file
  • A built-in optical drive, or a compatible external optical drive is required if you are using an install disc
  • 8 GB USB storage device, or external drive formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) to install the downloaded drivers

Before you install Windows, you should use Software Update to make sure OS X and your computer's firmware are up to date.

also what do you mean by available across boots like I can boot the windows hard drive(cus I can do that)

There are 4 reboots for Windows installation at a minimum, and all installation media necessary must be physically available across each of these, which means it cannot be stored on a OS X file system on your Mac. It must be stored externally on persistent media.

Can you do the following

If you have a 8GB USB2 stick, copy the current contents to the OS X side and save them, and use it for installing Windows, and once complete, reformat it and put the saved contents from the OS X side back on the USB.

You can install Windows over the network using https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj938037.aspx and specifically read https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj938037.aspx#BKMK_Assumptions.

If you have other questions, I suggest you start at How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support.

How to use bootcamp without a usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.