Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Double NAT

So to start here is my current setup

Arris CM820 > Airport Express

So after digging and digging I keep coming back to the same solution, that my modem is also a router and therefore also has its own NAT and that is causing the problem. But the kicker is my modem is without a doubt not a router, it is a simple modem. However there are other facts that contradict this such as, my public ip is not the same as my airports ip. Apparently if my routers ip is any of the following it also means my modem is a router, which it is.

192.168.xxx.yyy

10.xxx.yyy.zzz

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

I have contacted my ISP and requested that my modem be put into bridge mode so that my airport express could handle the NAT on its own, but they assured me that my model of modem is not a routing one and they could not put it into bridge mode. I feel like I have tried all options (including port forwarding, which also apparently is useless with the current circumstances).

Please help me

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 6:36 PM

4 replies

Feb 13, 2015 10:06 PM in response to MarPav

The modem is fine. If your AirPort router is operating correctly and configured correctly, it will display a similar IP address when you check in AirPort Utility.

The example below shows my IP address of 76.187.xxx.xx which is a fixed static IP address that I receive from the ISP. Unless you have contacted your ISP about a fixed or static IP address, your address will change from time to time, daily, weekly, etc.

The LAN IP address will be 10.0.1.1 if you start from a factory default condition. This is correct.

User uploaded file

Chances are, you may have forgotten to completely reset your modem before you connect it to the AirPort router. Power if off completely for at least 30 minutes by pulling the power cord from the back of the device or from the wall AC jack.

If you are still having difficulty, take the AirPort to an Apple Store, if you have one near you, to let them take a look, or contact Apple support.

Airport Express Double NAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.