Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi drops yosemite 10.10.2

wifi drops out constantly , its not the router as other apple devices run ok its just my mac which has had this problem since installing yosemite 10.10.2

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 7:01 PM

4 replies

Feb 15, 2015 12:04 PM in response to wap57

Hi wap57,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like WiFi drop out on the Mac but not for other devices. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity - Apple Support

Use these steps if your computer disconnects from its Wi-Fi network unexpectedly.

1. Check your range to the Wi-Fi router and reduce the effect of interference.

If your computer is too far from your Wi-Fi router or your environment has too much Wi-Fi interference, then your computer may not detect the Wi-Fi network properly. The easiest way to check for range limits with your Wi-Fi network is to move your computer or your Wi-Fi router closer together and make sure that there are no obstructions (such as walls, cabinets, and so forth) between the router and your computer.

See Potential sources of wireless interference for more information about interference and solutions.
  2. Try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network. If your computer works fine when connected to a different Wi-Fi network, then the issue may be related to your network router or ISP. In that case, contact the manufacturer of your router or your ISP.

Cheers,

Mario

Mar 23, 2015 7:31 PM in response to wap57

I have done everything that people said including disabling airdrop, changing DNS servers, SMC reset, recreate network, recreate configuration files and the WIFI still drops every 5 hours.

On my yosemite 10.10.2 i have found that the problem with WIFI was related to a process called discoveryd.

When your wifi drops you can either switch off and on the WIFI or go to activity monitor find discoveryd and do a force quit.

It appears that every 5 hours, The mac isn't able to resolve DNS anymore. If you try to ping IP, it will work. For instance, go to terminal and ping 8.8.8.8,

Even if you can open a page in Safari, you will see that you will have a successful ping on 8.8.8.8. Nevertheless, if you try to ping google.com you will read request time out.

I hope that someone escalated the issue with discoveryd process for Yosemite 10.10.3

wifi drops yosemite 10.10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.