Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone issues (Siri, dictation & more)

I have an iPhone 6 plus with iOS 8.1.3 and recently I discovered that Siri can't hear me when I am not using a headset.

Unless I scream in the top microphone (near the flash) she doesn't register anything at all, and when I do she can't understand me anyway. The sound wave is moving all the time even when I am silent. With my headset plugged in Siri hears me fine and the sound wave is flat when I am silent. Filming with the camera on the screen side of the phone also behaves the same way, I have to be very loud for it to pick up anything but low static.

Filming with the back camera is producing clear sound which is louder when I speak close to the top of the phone, so the hardware is fine for the top microphone. Likewise the bottom microphone is working fine with google voice search in the "Google" app, the feedback on the screen shows more indication of sound when I am speaking into the bottom end of the phone.

Dictation doesn't work at all.

Voice messages in iMessage doesn't work at all, static here too.

FaceTime works, most of the time.

I have gotten FT to work with both front and back camera as well as with audio only. But sometimes it goes into the same kind of audio bugs where there is only static and you have to scream to make it pick up any sound at all. I think it is using both microphones. Voice seems to use lower microphone for phone mode, and upper for speaker phone. I can trigger something similar to the "bug" by being loud close to the upper microphone in speaker phone mode. But it resets back into working again if I am silent for a few seconds. It might just be an auto-level function trying to be nice to whoever I am talking to. In phone mode it does never cut off.

Snapchat only works with the back facing camera (upper microphone), just as the normal camera app.

Shazam works fine (uses bottom microphone).

Voice Memos works fine (uses bottom microphone).

Translate Voice works fine (uses bottom microphone).

Google works fine (as stated above, uses bottom microphone)

Since both microphones are working in other apps it seems to be software related. And it is only failing in some apps (Siri, dictation and iMessage voice messages, and sometimes FaceTime). Don't know if it started with iOS 8.1.3 as I almost always use my headphones, but I haven't noticed it before now.

I thought it might be a glitch in noise cancellation, but disabling it under Accessibility doesn't make Siri work.

I have tried turning Siri on and off again, changing all Siri settings (one at a time), restarting my phone, resetting my phone (10 seconds of holding down both the sleep/wake and the home button), resetting all settings. Nothing has made any difference yet. Any other suggestions?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 9:35 PM

45 replies

Jan 27, 2017 5:03 PM in response to ghreat

had the same exact problem, was told by Apple Genius Bar that the microphone failed. The key was that my Siri waveform wasn't a flat line, it was moving. So the microphone had to be working (or else it would be a flat line).

I did as other said, give it a hard SLAP to the upper speaker/front camera/microphone area (I did it 3 times), and Siri worked perfectly.

Additionally, some folks have tried using compressed air cans and had similar results. I bet using this would create a loud sound for the microphone (similar to a slap), allowing the microphone to work. Hope this helps!!!!!!

Nov 26, 2017 5:24 PM in response to Artemy Lysykh

Ok I had the exact same problem with my iPhone 8. Performed all the tests that I saw on the forum. But like a 90's TV set it just required a couple of hard slaps. Just make sure the mic area (next to front camera) makes full contact with your palm on impact. I think it's to do with air pressure dislodging any dust or whatever is caught inside. Problem solved but if it acts up again I'm sending it into the apple shop.

Feb 13, 2015 9:57 PM in response to ghreat

The next steps in user troubleshooting are restore from backup, and if necessary restore as new. If you have to go as far as restore as new, that will delete all content from your device, so make sure everything is imported to the computer and synced. If you restore as new, then before adding back any content, test the device. If it works correctly, try restoring your backup. If it fails again, then there is something corrupt with your backup. If it does not work correctly then, make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider, whichever applies to your location and have the hardware tested.

Feb 14, 2015 8:59 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have found other threads on the internet that reports similar kind of microphone issues on 8.1.3, so I might wait for the next iteration of iOS until I again pour multiple hours of testing and restoring into doing something that might be beyond self-support.

I did try to restore from backup, but that didn't improve anything.

I will maybe try to restore as new at a later point as it is a pretty big thing to do (unless it won't solve my issue and I just quickly restore back to a backed up state with all my stuff including the issue at hand).

Feb 14, 2015 7:39 PM in response to ghreat

I'm having the same issue but with the speakerphone capability on my phone calls. My mic works for everything in the phone EXCEPT when the phone is in speakerphone mode. I have tried resetting and restoring the device - all to no avail. I hope someone at Apple realizes that THIS IS A PROBLEM and knows to fix it in the next release!!

Feb 14, 2015 8:38 PM in response to ghreat

I've not encountered any mic problems on iOS 8.1.3, but then I do not have an iPhone 6, I have a 5s. I'm not sure they could release a software fix that would not jeopardize other versions of the devices that also run on iOS 8.1.3, but then I don't work for Apple. You can handle it any way you want, it is your device, but if you are close to an Apple Store, you might make an appointment to have the device checked and see what they have to say.

Feb 14, 2015 8:39 PM in response to Jlspeck

Unless you tell Apple, no one there will realize that it is a problem. This is a user to user support forum, and Apple does not participate here. Feedback to Apple goes HERE, and click on the appropriate subject area. Apple reads that information, but does not respond to individual feedback. That is the only way for them to know of your concerns.

Feb 22, 2015 2:37 PM in response to ghreat

Hi,

I had this same problem a few days ago. Nothing works when doing reset or reinstall. Out out frustration, I yelled really loud to Siri and it seems to hear me a little bit. I tapped on my phone repeatedly while siri is listening and gradually, the microphone restored function. It's fine working now.

Very very strange indeed. Hope it will continue to work. Seems like hardware related.

Feb 22, 2015 9:49 PM in response to Michaelfengdayu

I have a theory. The software somehow triggered a recalibration of the mic. The mic was turned to the least sensitive level. The hardware is fine. it's just like when you turn your mic level all the way down, the mic will not hear anything. User cannot adjust the mic level from UI, unlike on a Mac. The iPhone system automatically adjusted level somehow. That's why it's need to be activated by a shock or something. At least in my case it worked after me yelling at it.

It's the rear mic I was talking about.

Feb 25, 2015 2:35 AM in response to Michaelfengdayu

I believe you are onto something, but screaming or making other forms of loud noises at my phone does not recalibrate it to a useable level for me. I have tried it, a lot. I can get it to be slightly more sensitive though (so much so that making loud noises actually makes a difference to the waveform), but that takes a long time, and it still goes back to the default of not being able to hear me at all if I leave Siri alone for a while.

Some updates:

Tried a full restore (not from backup) today. And still no difference. Siri does not want to hear me unless I scream, and then she can't make out my words anyways.

I noticed a funny thing though. If I turn off Siri, voice control works perfectly. The problem is just that it is super basic compared to what Siri can do.

Mar 1, 2015 2:40 PM in response to ghreat

I've run into the same thing only recently on my iPhone 6 with 8.1.3. Siri can't hear me, dictation in messages doesn't work randomly. The "waveform wiggles" when i'm talking but the the data is never transcribes. the little wheel icon just spins in the messages blank spot.

i just switched to the google app and used the microphone button to search for a random thing and that worked. when i switched back to messages and tried to dictate something, siri/dictation worked again.

Mar 2, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Robert Myers8

Glad to hear it helped you.

Sadly it didn't work for me when I just tried it. Google works great though, as always.

Even sadder update:

I accidentally dropped my phone this Tuesday and managed to crack the screen, so all form of warranty is off. I have a time with the Apple Genius Bar tomorrow though, maybe they can at least acknowledge the problem.

Re: siri not working after ios 8 update pretty much describes my experiences, and that thread has 115000+ views as of now. So it seems to be something they should look into.

Microphone issues (Siri, dictation & more)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.