Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6 not exporting photo descriptions

After changing image descriptions as desired, then selecting File>Export>Include: Title and keywords, the image descriptions fail to be exported (default camera description "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" retained). Title and keywords are exported; descriptions are not.

This is new problem with new Macbook up to date running 10.10.2.

I have submitted feedback to Apple via iPhoto>Provide iPhoto Feedback.

But wondering if others are having this issue.

And if I discover a resolution then I shall post it here.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 1:57 AM

10 replies

Feb 27, 2015 1:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Just did as you directed, same problem. But it is very strange; I have scanned a whole bunch of slides, imported them into iPhoto, some photos were rotated 90 degrees (as some slides were meant to be shown as), and, finally, descriptions added. What is bizarre is that some files that are exported keep their descriptions while others don't. What is odd is that only the slides that were rotated 90 deg (then descriptions were added) kept their descriptions. Very, very weird (and a major failing).

Feb 27, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

That seems to be getting at the issue. I made a duplicate of one of the horizontally oriented slide scans earlier and adjusted exposure, tint, etc.; when it is exported, the description sticks. However, if I then revert to original photo, the description is lost. Testing further, if I edit, change some setting and then go back to the original setting, the description is lost on export. But if I do even a small edit, the description seems to stick.

I have scanned almost 1000 slides in the last few days and I didn't intend to adjust many of them. It will be a lot of work to go into every scanned image and do some minor edit on all of them. This really is flakey.

Feb 27, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Oxymoronius

I *think* this is because the images are scanned. Scanned images (in almost all cases) have no metadata - Exif/IPTC - and no space in the file to write this too. I'm guessing that the edit forces the creation of a new file that has the creation of the IPTC area, and that gives iPhoto a space to write to. But that's a guess.

iPhoto 9.6 not exporting photo descriptions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.