Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect second monitor

I was reading up on knowledge base and was entirely clearly so just want to confirm

Main iMac is 2011 with thunderbolts and secondary iMac is 2010 with display port.

Can you use cables between these to unit and use 2010 iMac that has display port ?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 7:05 AM

12 replies

Feb 14, 2015 7:53 AM in response to June Mizoguchi

As per: OS X Mavericks: Use another Mac as a display

Use a 27-inch iMac with a Mini DisplayPort as a display

If you have a 27-inch iMac with a Mini DisplayPort, any other Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port can use it as a display. Make sure you have a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable.

If your 2010 iMac is a 27-inch iMac, then you can use this iMac as an additional display by connecting to your 2011 27-inch iMac via Mini Display cable.

Here is a list of supported Macs that can work as an additional Display (as per Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support) :

1. What are the requirements for TDM?
    iMac Model Cable Supported Port on Source Computer
    iMac (27-inch Late 2009) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
    iMac (27-inch Mid 2010) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
    iMac (Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
    iMac (Mid 2012 and later) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
    Note that the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) does not support Target Display Mode.
    • A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection
    • A Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort cable
    • A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.

Feb 14, 2015 9:14 AM in response to June Mizoguchi

Yes, if the Mac that you want to use as an additional display is 27-inch 2010 and you have a Mini Display Cable.

When you are looking for "Yes" or "No" answer, try to be more specific about your equipment. In non of your previous messages you have mention what model of Macs do you have. There are specific models that are supported as you can see: the 21" iMac 2010 is not.

Feb 14, 2015 9:56 AM in response to June Mizoguchi

June Mizoguchi wrote:

Reason is screen sizes with two iMacs different? Or still thunderbolt to mini display mode ?

Your 21" iMac 2010 doesn't support Target Display Mode. Thunderbolt port is backwards compatible with Mini Display, but Mini Display is not backward compatible with Thunderbolt. In other words, if you would have other way around, 21" iMac 2011 and 27" iMac 2010 then that would work.

June Mizoguchi wrote:

oh. I have 2011 MacBook Air 11". Can we use 21 " iMac with it?

No. But you can use your 27" iMac as an additional screen for your 11" Macbook Air 2011. You will need a Thunderbolt cable for it. Once both Macs are ON and connected with Thunderbolt cable, you will need to press CMD+F2 on the 27" iMac's keyboard.

Feb 14, 2015 10:20 AM in response to June Mizoguchi

June Mizoguchi wrote:

I see. So if the screen was smaller with thunderbolts to larger display with mini display work

Yes. If 21" iMac will have Thunderbolt port you could connect to it 27" iMac with Mini Display port to it as an additional Screen (21" iMac as a main, 27" imac as an additinal screen).

EDIT: Above is incorrect. Eh... Now i confused myself. Both iMacs will need to have Thunderbolt port. As per:

iMac (Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt

June Mizoguchi wrote:

I guess I need to get 27" Thunderbolt Display

Correct, you will need a 27" Thunderbolt Display OR... another 27" iMac with thunderbolt port (and Thunderbolt cable) OR... a 27" iMac with Mini Display port (and Mini Display cable, and with this configuration the 27-inch iMac with Mini Display will work as an additional screen).

Feb 14, 2015 10:22 AM in response to iW00

Cool.. Figure that was the case.

I just got some extra iMac with bad display cable I need to fix since I got it for free and person bought new 2014 iMac so figure make use out of it

I will use this other project I have. I'm suing already thuderbolts with VGA adapter to old 17 for my calendar and map and HDMI adapter with my Asus 23" which I like to replace with 27"

How to connect second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.