Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't edit repeating calendar events

Once a week my granddaughters come to my place after school. I've always put these days on my calendar as repeating events for the whole school year.

Obviously things sometimes change in an arrangement like that, and sometimes we plan to do something special, so I add a couple of words beside the event's title to clue me in. (for example, the repeating Event is Lizzy, then may sometimes edit to make it Lizzy, baking).

It's worked perfectly for years - till Yosemite. Now, the edits disappear if I shut down the calendar. About a week ago, it stopped doing that - the edits stayed, and I thought they must have quietly solved the issue...but now it's happening again, my edits are gone.

Is anyone else having a similar problem - or am is there a particular not-so-obvious way we're supposed to edit in Yosemite.

The edits on NON-repeating events are fine - always stay.

I'd appreciate any help - I'm really not liking this calendar at all, for other reasons as well.

Thanks,

Lynne

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 12:31 PM

It's the "Default calendar app". I checked the box under System Preferences/iCloud so it would sync with my phone and iPad.

When I enter a repeating Event onto my iMac calendar, it does sync to the ipad and to the phone. If I edit one occurrence and select "all future Events", then quit calendar, when I restart calendar the edit is still there. If I select "only this Event", then quit Calendar, when I start it up again, that edit is gone.

I had found that an edit done on the iMac for "all future Events" shows up on the iphone and ipad; for "only this Event" it doesn't come through - however, now it appears to have become erratic, as I just now entered events on both ipad and mac and they didn't sync at all. Up until this latest development, going through the same procedures but using my ipad to make all the entries all the edits remained intact on the Mac as well as on the iPad. I'm still using iOS 7.1.2 on the iPad.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

It's the "Default calendar app". I checked the box under System Preferences/iCloud so it would sync with my phone and iPad.

When I enter a repeating Event onto my iMac calendar, it does sync to the ipad and to the phone. If I edit one occurrence and select "all future Events", then quit calendar, when I restart calendar the edit is still there. If I select "only this Event", then quit Calendar, when I start it up again, that edit is gone.

I had found that an edit done on the iMac for "all future Events" shows up on the iphone and ipad; for "only this Event" it doesn't come through - however, now it appears to have become erratic, as I just now entered events on both ipad and mac and they didn't sync at all. Up until this latest development, going through the same procedures but using my ipad to make all the entries all the edits remained intact on the Mac as well as on the iPad. I'm still using iOS 7.1.2 on the iPad.

Feb 15, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Linc Davis

NO!! Not the same problem! The edits stay intact! - came through to my phone, but not to the iPad - so I turned the cloud off on the ipad and turned it on again, and they showed up!

I confess I've never gone to iCloud.com before - the only things I wanted synced were the calendar, and Notes, and up until I got the new computer with Yosemite everything was fine.

So now then, I'll go right into iCloud.com to do any work on Calendar I guess, is the best plan.

Thank you SO much for your help and patience - I was ready to go back to the wall calendar and pencil method. I've depended on my Mac's calendar for years, and I'm so relieved to have it back. Really nice of you to take the time to help me, and I appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Lynne 🙂

Feb 16, 2015 9:28 AM in response to Linc Davis

LOL I'm far from happy with the workaround. I HAD a great, working calendar before Yosemite. I thought you meant that's what I HAD to do, and if that's the only option I might as well have accepted it. I'd much rather solve the problem and not have to go to iCloud - but going to iCloud is a better option that nailing a paper calendar to the wall.

Mar 17, 2015 11:52 AM in response to lynnefrombc

I can recreate this problem. This problem occurs with Yosemite calendar app only. It effects any calDAV based calendar including iCloud. I haven't tested local calendars under On this Mac.

The key is the event has to be a repeating all day event where you will be making edits to only one instance of the repeating event. Timed events work fine. iOS devices do NOT have this bug. Mavericks calendar and earlier also do not share this bug.

To sum up:

Create a repeating all day event.

Now, if you edit one instance of that event (not all repeating) on an iOS device or Mavericks calendar, the change is pushed to all devices accessing that calendar successfully including Yosemite's calendar app.

If you edit a single instance of the repeating event on Yosemite's Calendar, the change will be made locally, but not pushed out to the server, thus not reflected on any other device. Also, and maybe even more problematic, is that any changes successfully made elsewhere are often reverted to the original entry state on the server. For example, any previous event successfully moved from a Wednesday to say a Thursday, are moved back to Wednesday. Any changes or additions to the name of a single event in the series are reverted. General wonkiness occurs once a single instance of a repeating all day event is changed from within calendar app on Yosemite. Data is sometimes lost from the server or Yosemite's calendar might revert to the server state. I haven't clarified every detail regarding that yet.

Anyway, this is clearly a bug introduced in Yosemite's calendar app.

Let's hope Apple fixes this soon.

Mar 17, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Douglas155

Hi Douglas,

Yes, you're exactly right, that's how the problem goes.

Because my computer is new and at the time I still had the 90-day applecare, I spent a couple of hours on the phone with them. Long, long story short, once the supervisor got in touch with the iCloud engineers (that's what he called them) - where he had forwarded files to from my computer etc etc, - he got back to me in a few days and said the icloud people told him it's a "known problem", and they are working on it. They say it should be fixed soon.

Meantime, in case anyone else having this problem reads this - my own solution is, if I need to make any change to a single occurrence of a repeating event, to go directly to the calendar IN iCloud and do it there. Then all is fine. Just sign in, go to calendar then make a shortcut to keep on your desktop for convenience.

Thanks.

can't edit repeating calendar events

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.