Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac Yosemite does not recognise my new WD Elements external hard disk

Does Yosemite include drivers for the WD Elements external hard drive?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 7:13 AM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2015 8:37 AM in response to davidisleta

Many thanks for coming back. The situation has been resolved with the help of Apple Support via Chat. It may help someone else if I summarise:

The external HD could not be seen in Disc Utility or under Devices. It was straight out of the box and formatted as Windows NTFS. However, when I connected it to my MacMini (running 10.10.1) there it was. In Disc Utility I erased it, then formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When I reconnected it to the iMac it appeared and at the moment it is happily backing up via Time Machine.

Thanks again.

Mar 2, 2015 4:14 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi!

I have the same problem with my windows-formated WD which is backing up files from my office computer. I have been using it on my older mac, version 10.8. Now, with my new mac 10.10.1, it cannot be seen, but is visible in disk utility. As I have valuable files there, how can I reach them? I am afraid that I will loose my files if formatting. Any clues?

My iMac Yosemite does not recognise my new WD Elements external hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.