Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Update on New 27 iMac Ret (Yosemite) Failing, Opening Library from Drobo FS

I have upgraded from a MacBook Pro (OS X v 10.5 Leopard) to iMac 27 Retina (OS X 10.10 Yosemite). System failing to 'update iPhoto Library' when opening iPhoto folder from Drobo FS. Running current firmware and housing (3) 2-TB drive (Raid System). Had no issues within previous linking to the library on the MBPro. Estimated 190 GB Photo Library.

iPhoto shuts down after est 20 minutes of spinning. Energy Saver is Off. Have attempted (option + command + selecting iPhoto) for repair but unsuccessful thus far.

(Aware that Drobo is slow but this shouldn't be the issue). Thankful for advice/assistance.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 10:22 AM

7 replies

Feb 14, 2015 10:49 AM in response to kleitch1979

The iPhoto library MUST be on a directly connected hard drive formatted mac OS extended (journaled) - it can not be on any other format and can not be on a WiFi, ethernet or network connection - it must be on a drive connected with USB, FireWire or ThunderBolt

So what format is the Drobo and how is it connected to your Mac?

Probably the solution will be to move the iphoto library to you local drive - although if it is on an improperly formatted drive t may be damaged beyond repir in which case you will need to restore a backup

LN

Feb 14, 2015 11:20 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the quick reply, LarryHN - Truly appreciating your advice here.

*Disclosure - I'm not TOO tech savvy but trying my best on this effort*

Unfortunately the Drobo FS is a WiFi system connected with the modem/router lines. Photo attached. All in-house devices, PC or MacBook, are able to see the Drobo documents/photos (edit/create/etc) since it's on the network. Anytime I accessed the iPhoto, it would reference the iPhoto folder on the Drobo as it's default. I don't have the ability to link it directly into a direct drive format, there is only an Ethernet-In and Power input on the Drobo.

When accessing the Drobo through Finder as we did on previous devices to see the iPhoto folder, it sees the iPhoto but prompts for Upgrade to work with the version. Does this perhaps mean I need to upgrade the MacBook sequentially through Snow Leopard > Lion > Mountain Lion > Maverick > Yosemite (or until it is able to see the JPGs properly?

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2015 11:30 AM in response to kleitch1979

as noted above

The iPhoto library MUST be on a directly connected hard drive formatted mac OS extended (journaled) - it can not be on any other format and can not be on a WiFi, ethernet or network connection - it must be on a drive connected with USB, FireWire or ThunderBolt

or your internal drive of course

Probably the solution will be to move the iphoto library to you local drive - although if it is on an improperly formatted drive t may be damaged beyond repir in which case you will need to restore a backup

Or get a new EHD formatted mac OS extended (journaled) and move your library to it - and again if it is on an improperly formatted drive t may be damaged beyond repir in which case you will need to restore a backup

You can not use it on the DROBO network drive!

LN

Feb 14, 2015 12:12 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback, I do. But pasting previous statements and adding exclamation points but it doesn't make them easier to understand. 😕

There is no 'damage beyond repair'. I can still see these files perfectly on other Apple devices, edit images through iPhoto and save/email/share.

Quite disappointing to drop 2500 on a badass desktop system and it doesn't have the ability to reference the same drive wirelessly that my MacBook 13 Pro on 5 Gen Old OS can see. That just stinks. It's as far as examining the library and spinning then dies off. Fail to understand this systems inability to see JPGs on a drive that it can still see documents and all else on. It's not like the Drobo is a poor system. Not quite as simple as just 'getting a new EHD' or shifting 200GB of images from one system to the other.

Ready to shoot myself in the face.

Feb 14, 2015 12:27 PM in response to kleitch1979

I can still see these files perfectly on other Apple devices, edit images through iPhoto and save/email/share.

The problem is, that an iPhoto Library on a network volume has never been supported. Earlier iPhoto versions did not test, if the library is on a correctly formatted volume, but the newer iPhoto versions do and refuse to open the library on a network volume. You have been lucky, that the network access did not damage your library, but you have been using it in an unsupported mode all along.

This Support document holds for iPhoto libraries as well, even if it says "Aperture", but iPhoto and Aperture are sharing the same library format.

Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Feb 14, 2015 1:40 PM in response to léonie

Ouch. This is heartbreaking. I'm hopeful I can extract all of these images out of the elder iPhoto via thumb drive and repair if needed in the updated iPhoto on the iMac. I really don't know of a quicker or safer way due to the setup of the Drobo system. I have not be using Aperture, just another iPhoto folder.

What would be the optimum set up for my needs? I can easily sell a 6TB Drobo so.... What would I replace it with per needs?

I'm a photographer and my reason for having the Drobo FS was the ability to store large amounts of photography, have the ability to access documents and photos wirelessly through multiple devices, and ensure that if a drive failed I would not risk losing data.

Apple is arguably the best for imaging so I'm shocked I'm in this situation right now. I'm replacing my MacBook 13 with a MacBook Air and had hoped to still have capability of accessing wireless. From the sound of it, we are quite limited (?)

Feb 14, 2015 1:59 PM in response to kleitch1979

Get any drive, that is large enough to hold your iPhoto library, use Disk Utility to format it to MacOS Extended(Journaled) and connect it directly to your mac -Thunderbolt, USB.

The procedure is described in this link: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

The new Photos.app for Mac will be the first Mac app to support a library in the cloud. See: Apple - OS X - Photos Preview and iCloud Photo Library beta FAQand

iPhoto Update on New 27 iMac Ret (Yosemite) Failing, Opening Library from Drobo FS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.