Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing the name of my hard drive

The name of my hard drive where my system software is named OS 10.9.2, I since upgraded to 10.10.2 so if I change the name of the drive to 10.10.2 will I have problems locating files? Donet want to do unless I know for sure

R

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 8:06 AM

OS X Mountain Lion: Rename your hard disk

OS X Yosemite: Rename files, folders, and disks

Your computer’s internal hard disk is named Macintosh HD by default. It’s OK to rename your hard disk, if you like.

1. Click the Finder icon in the Dock, and then choose Go > Computer.
  2. Click the Macintosh HD icon and press Return.
  3. Type a name.You can use numbers and most symbols. You cannot include a colon (:) or start the name with a period (.).
  4. Press Return.

Changing the name of your hard disk does not change the name of your computer when it appears on a network.

Oh... And it is always good to have a valid backup: Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

developerdee wrote:

if I change the name of the drive to 10.10.2 will I have problems locating files?

No. You shouldn't have any problems with locating your files.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2015 8:06 AM in response to developerdee

OS X Mountain Lion: Rename your hard disk

OS X Yosemite: Rename files, folders, and disks

Your computer’s internal hard disk is named Macintosh HD by default. It’s OK to rename your hard disk, if you like.

1. Click the Finder icon in the Dock, and then choose Go > Computer.
  2. Click the Macintosh HD icon and press Return.
  3. Type a name.You can use numbers and most symbols. You cannot include a colon (:) or start the name with a period (.).
  4. Press Return.

Changing the name of your hard disk does not change the name of your computer when it appears on a network.

Oh... And it is always good to have a valid backup: Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

developerdee wrote:

if I change the name of the drive to 10.10.2 will I have problems locating files?

No. You shouldn't have any problems with locating your files.

changing the name of my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.