Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what os x upgrade is feasible for my macbookpro8,3?

i have a 17" late-2011 macbook pro running 10.7.5. i would like to upgrade to a more recent os.

what is feasible for my mbp? i read the yosemite page and my mbp seems to qualify, but i have read about people having trouble upgrades.

i have 4 gb 1333 mhz ddr3.

so i am wondering:

-what os x is the mbp capabile of?

-what upgrades will i have to make to use yosemite? i have 4 gb of ram.

-what is the useful life of my mbp? the cycle count of my battery is 169.

-is it worth the expense/effort?

i am considering the macbook pro upgrade because i will be adding ram to my imac and upgrading to yosemite. i have a a new iphone using ios 8. i would like all my devices to be as current as possible to synch, share, make use of available functionality.

thank you for your time and advice.

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 1:12 PM

According to the specs for your model listed in MacTracker database, you could upgrade

the RAM to as much as 16GB, with quality RAM from reputable sources... See noted

Firmware update linked below, before attempting to upgrade the RAM memory chips.

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)

Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

•MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

More than 4GB is recommended, even before Yosemite; though some suggest 4GB is

enough. But not usually if you actually run applications that put demands on the OS X

and the limited resources that worked fine in an older OS X version don't do that well

in a later OS X system. Upgrade the computer before you upgrade the OS X.

The computer you have can be upgraded in OS X to Yosemite 10.10.2, there was a

firmware update listed for it, but that may not be currently available; but yours is:

Here's the link for EFI Firmware Update 2.7 for MacBook Pro:

•MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7

The computer could use an SSD upgrade or a 7200-RPM hard disk drive. Be sure

to match the physical size of the replacement drive because there are two sizes

of 2.5-inch drive, one is thicker than the other. You could look into OWC macsales

online to see what is available in the range of your expectation. Read closely.

For reference: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook-ibook-macbook/

Given the 17-inch portable has not been re-introduced to the product line and there

is no way to tell if one ever will be again, you could choose to go with it, or perhaps

look for a newer model. If you like to upgrade components, check the Late 2012

13-inch MacBook Pro with the optical drive and non-retina display. It seems OK.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited 2x

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2015 1:12 PM in response to green jean

According to the specs for your model listed in MacTracker database, you could upgrade

the RAM to as much as 16GB, with quality RAM from reputable sources... See noted

Firmware update linked below, before attempting to upgrade the RAM memory chips.

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)

Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

•MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

More than 4GB is recommended, even before Yosemite; though some suggest 4GB is

enough. But not usually if you actually run applications that put demands on the OS X

and the limited resources that worked fine in an older OS X version don't do that well

in a later OS X system. Upgrade the computer before you upgrade the OS X.

The computer you have can be upgraded in OS X to Yosemite 10.10.2, there was a

firmware update listed for it, but that may not be currently available; but yours is:

Here's the link for EFI Firmware Update 2.7 for MacBook Pro:

•MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.7

The computer could use an SSD upgrade or a 7200-RPM hard disk drive. Be sure

to match the physical size of the replacement drive because there are two sizes

of 2.5-inch drive, one is thicker than the other. You could look into OWC macsales

online to see what is available in the range of your expectation. Read closely.

For reference: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook-ibook-macbook/

Given the 17-inch portable has not been re-introduced to the product line and there

is no way to tell if one ever will be again, you could choose to go with it, or perhaps

look for a newer model. If you like to upgrade components, check the Late 2012

13-inch MacBook Pro with the optical drive and non-retina display. It seems OK.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited 2x

Feb 14, 2015 2:03 PM in response to green jean

Well like "K" says :"The computer could use an SSD upgrade"

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

I put one un this early 2011 13" MBP 4 months ago. My wife's Mini and my stepson's MBP. I was working on a client's MBP s/ a conventional drive and realized when I saw the spinning beach ball of death that I haven't seen that at all in 4 months!

Photoshop CS6 opens in 3.4 seconds, Word 2011 in 2 seconds flat!

Yosemite, I have been avoiding. Still on 10.9.5!

If you need the extra storage and can't afford the 1 TB SSD check out OWC/s "Data Doubler" and:

Splitting data

http://blog.macsales.com/24915-splitting-your-data-an-alternative-to-fusion

Feb 14, 2015 6:23 PM in response to green jean

all of this is good advice. i want to give you all a "this helped me" and "this solved my question."

i like my 17". it isn't so portable, but i find myself using it more than my imac for casual use. i like the large screen and that it has a dvd drive. these aren't available now, as k shaffer noted.

as far as the hard drive goes, i have used only 200 gb of the 750 capacity. do i still need to attend to storage? i use my imac for serious work.

what do you think about the age of the machine overall? it wasn't used for almost 2 years. i'd hate to put money into it and then have it crash and burn. i guess i'm the only one who can make ilable.that determination, but i don't have much technical knowledge.

thanks for your thoughts.

Feb 14, 2015 8:08 PM in response to green jean

Hi,

Thanks I think? Not sure who you're talking to because your post says you're answering yourself.

"what do you think about the age of the machine overall? it wasn't used for almost 2 years. i'd hate to put money into it and then have it crash and burn."

Yes and " it wasn't used for almost 2 years. " might explain why it doesn't have this problem:

2011 MacBook Pro and Discrete Graphics Card

Which is approaching 40 million views and 12 thousand posts. So it would be tragic to put money into that machine and have the graphics chip failure happen to it.

On the other hand if Apple comes around then there would be some remediation for people w/ these machines. You have not experienced this problem however.

Feb 14, 2015 9:17 PM in response to green jean

You can infect upgrade to Mavericks and then Yosemite if you wish. If i were you I would look into adding more ram because you are on the low end of enough ram.

The choice of course is up to you, If you get more Ram I would purchase from one of these 2.

Crucial Ram

Memory for iMac 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, & now 32GB - OWC Certified RAM for Apple iMac with Lifetime Warranty

It is really hard for any of us to determine how long your computer might last. If you are worried about that issue save up and get you a new MacBook Pro.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION

DON

what os x upgrade is feasible for my macbookpro8,3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.