Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to virtually bypass the battery on a macbook pro (retina 2014) and power the mac directly via AC power?

Is it possible to virtually bypass the battery on a macbook pro (retina 2014) and power the mac directly via AC power?
E.g. Dell allows you to plug the laptop into AC power but prevent battery charging.
Note: I do not want to physically remove the battery.

If there isn't an option on Mac OS, is there anything I can download to bypass the battery when I want?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 4:22 PM

Leaving the battery hooked up to power will, over time, cause the battery health to decline.
I know modern batteries "stop" charging at 100% but when that occurs, the battery level will decrease to 98% for example and charging will re-initiate. If I leave my mac plugged in all day - this will cause unnecessary charging, heat, and over time contribute to declining battery health.
Even if that seems insignificant, over time it can add up.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2015 4:22 PM in response to stedman1

Leaving the battery hooked up to power will, over time, cause the battery health to decline.
I know modern batteries "stop" charging at 100% but when that occurs, the battery level will decrease to 98% for example and charging will re-initiate. If I leave my mac plugged in all day - this will cause unnecessary charging, heat, and over time contribute to declining battery health.
Even if that seems insignificant, over time it can add up.

Feb 14, 2015 4:49 PM in response to my ginger

Thanks for linking me! Wow I had no idea the clock speed would be cut so severely! What a bunch of rubbish, as if the AC won't provide enough power!
I guess the only solution to my question would be an app which virtually disconnects the battery but tricks the mac into thinking the battery is still connected. I'm just surprised Apple haven't yet started to build prisons for the government - considering how well they lock up their software and hardware!

Feb 14, 2015 4:34 PM in response to Allan Eckert

If the battery is being maintained at "100%" that suggests that the battery is constantly charging. Which would be bad.
OR
If in fact charging were to stop once 100% was reached (how most modern batteries work) - this would suggest that what I said above is true.
I haven't read into the details of how the mac chargers work but as far as I know they work the same way as any other modern charger.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.