Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Update has My HDMI Cable Not Working

Did anyone have their macbook air (2011) not recognize their HDMI cable after completing the Yosemite 10.10.2 Software Update? HDMI used to always work when I plugged it into my television. Now I do not even get the display of the two screens on the menubar of my Mac.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), HDMI

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 4:26 PM

2 replies

Feb 16, 2015 8:48 AM in response to dmcheech

Hello dmcheech,

I understand you are using a TV as an external display, and since the upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.2, the TV is not detected, is that right?

The first thing I would suggest is to check to see if there are any updates to your TV that may be needed. Also, restart the MacBook Air and the TV, and try a different HDMI cable to try to isolate the issue.

Check the settings for multiple displays. The article below is for Mountain Lion, but the settings are similar in Yosemite.

OS X: How to use multiple displays with your Mac in Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351

Video mirroring

Mirroring displays the same image on each display.

1. Make sure your additional display is properly connected and powered on.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. From the View menu, choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.
  5. Enable (check) "Mirror Displays" in the bottom-left corner.

Extended desktop

With extended desktop, your displays are treated as one, continuous desktop.

1. Make sure each display is properly connected and powered on.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. From the View menu, choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.
  5. Disable (uncheck) "Mirror Displays".

Closed lid

For instructions on using your Mac notebook with a closed lid and external display attached at the same time, see Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display.

Learn more

Last Modified:

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

May 5, 2015 4:13 AM in response to judysings

I'm having the same issue which seems to be since updating to Yosemite 10.10.3; my external HDMI display is no longer detected - it no longer appears in the display section of the system preferences, there is no option to mirror or extend the desktop because it's not detected.

Looking at the console, I'm noticing messages saying the display is detected when I turn it on, however the final message is:

com.apple.AmbientDisplayAgent: AMBD: Agent: xpc connection became invalid during event handler

As mentioned the display never appears in the display section of the system preferences. Here's a screenshot of the console:

User uploaded file

I've restarted both the external display and my MacBook Air (2011 edition) but with no effect.

Yosemite Update has My HDMI Cable Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.