Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PERMISSIONS NOT REPAIRED, NEVER REPAIRED

After repairing disk permissions I get the following message:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Permissions differ on “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/inde x.html”; should be lrwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/inde x.html”

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

ACL found but not expected on “private/etc/hostconfig”

Repaired “private/etc/hostconfig”

ACL found but not expected on “private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd”

Repaired “private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd”

ACL found but not expected on “private/var/yp/binding”

Repaired “private/var/yp/binding”

Permissions repair complete

BUT PERMISSIONS ARE NEVER REPAIRED...ALWAYS SAME OUTCOME, again and again.... never ending story

Any suitable idea to fix this trouble?

Thank you and kind regards,

Enea

mac book pro 15-inch, Mid 2010-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 3:27 AM

We all have seen that same ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) for years. I mean like 7 years.

We can't fix it but have learned to ignore it. You should, too.

4 replies

Feb 27, 2015 5:07 PM in response to eneamac

You will get the following after any update that Apple makes to the Remote Desktop in AppStore or Software Update: Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

OK, it's an info message. You've probably read this many times. It means that the ARDAgent was updated since your last major OS update. True fact. It doesn't go away after an incremental OS update. Unless...

Here's how to make that go away. When there's an OS update waiting in the App Store, don't do it. Instead, do a search for (version) Combo Update. Sometimes Apple doesn't release the Combo until a day or two after the App Store updater. Today being Feb 27, 2015, you are looking for 10.10.2 Combo Update found here:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Combo Update

Download and install it. Run Repair Permissions and you will see that the warning is gone.

What happened was that Apple released the Remote Desktop Update a few days after the 10.10.2 update. The combo updater will not overwrite ARD – if it did, it would prompt you to run it again.

This is not new with Yosemite. It has been an issue since OS 10.5. The fix has been the same, too. Interestingly, only the Combo Update makes this go away; the regular updater does not. Oh, one more thing: There is never a Combo Update for v.1 (10.10.1 for example).

Separate Issue

The other "ACL ... " was caused. I know how you did it, too, but nevermind (I made the same mistake). There's a little utility called ACLr8 that usually removes those messages but it doesn't work on those three. I intend to try a few other tricks I know and, if successful, I will post how I did it.

PERMISSIONS NOT REPAIRED, NEVER REPAIRED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.