Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire issue on Mac Mini 2011 after upgrading to YOSEMITE !

I am BEGGING for some help here !!

I have purachsed a 2011 Mac Min i7 16GB Ram to be used with my dream of making music. SO I bought my Akai max 49 MIDI controller and am using ABLETON LIVE 9 - all sweet.

As I play bass and I also want to record vocals I picked up a APOGEE DUET FIREWIRE. Problem is, and after many may many days /weeks trying, and speaking to APOGEE, they say its a FIREWIRE driver issue and APPLE no longer support FIREWIRE. The 'duet' will not function. It is recognised is the user software (MAESTRO2) and is selectable in the MIDI and AUDIO settings applications on the MAC MINI - but when i try to ply music through ITUNES or through ABLETON the status bar just hangs and no audio is output. Im so frustrated and disappointed.

Is there ANYTHING ANYBODY can suggest here. I can't believe that a driver update for the FIREWIRE to work with a built for MAC APPOGEE DUET is not available for use on my 2011 mac mini with YOSEMITE.... is this actually the case please ?

Many many thanks for anyone willing to help - I have scrutinised all the threads I can find on the subject but am still left with a very expensive bit of kit that doesn't work for me 😟

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 1:49 AM

9 replies

Feb 15, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Jofski

Are other FireWire devices working...?

If not, then you may have tripped the overload protection for the FireWire ports and need to reset the SMC.

> http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If other FireWire devices are working, I would:

1. test the setup with a different FireWire cable.

2. test the Apogue using a different Mac or PC system.

3. test the setup while started up from a Mavericks Disk or Partition.

Feb 15, 2015 11:09 AM in response to Jofski

Thanks guys for replying - I'm very grateful.

I have reset PRAM, bought a new FW cable, de-installed and reinstalled OS X and APOGEE user interface. I do not have any other FW devices unfortunately but I can try it on friends so will do that to rule out a hardware fault. The mini has only been in my possession since early jan and it was a completely clean unit - no apps or software etc.

The one suggestion I do not follow above is the Partition startup or Mavericks start up - sorry.,...what does that mean ? I do have 2 500gb drives plus 2 external HDD so storage is no problem. I will also try the SMC suggestion as I don't think I followed those steps clearly last time.

Again, thanks for your time. wish me luck - all I want to do is play and record my music !!!🙂

Mar 26, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Jofski

Hey there Jofski.

Don't know if your going to get this but I sure hope that you do. I ran across this thread searching for answers to the exact problem that you had back in mid February. I just set up my newly purchased Mini 10.10.2 Yosemite and it will not recognize my Duet Firewire. I'm having to use a Firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor. I'm not sure if that was your situation or not. Well to cut to the chase, did you ever find a solution to your problem? For your sake, I hope so and for my sake, I hope you can explain the solution to me.

Thanks in advance,

- Billy -

Aug 17, 2015 11:21 AM in response to billyfromtopeka

Has anyone had a resolve on this Issue? It seems to be a problem in large since 2009.

Ive done everything that has been mentioned on these post.

Im running 10.8.5 on my 11' mini with 8gb memory.

running an older Focusrite Saffire and a Buffalo terabite backup drive, so from mini to buffalo at 800firewire,

buffalo has a 800 to 400 to the Saffire interface. Im using thunderbolt for my display monitor.

All firmware updates are downloaded.

I was on lion and what ever was before that my firewire was working it stopped while on lion. the sequesnce is a bit of a blurr.

on lion i wasnt getting and firewire port responce since upgrade to 10.8.5 in have the port back and once it told me "warning cant find hardware", So i did shutdown and unplugged all attachments let comp sit for hrs then plugged power then usb then all others. now its back to having a firewire port but no hardware signs.

Thanks

Firewire issue on Mac Mini 2011 after upgrading to YOSEMITE !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.