Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 can't boot! Help!

So i basically have a base model PowerMac G5 from 2003. its a fully working machine. 1.6 Ghz single core processor. 80GB hdd original apple one. Geforce FX 5200. Original Apple DVD/CD drive. 2.5 GB RAM.

So the machine had 2 hdds in there when we got it. one of them, which had the os on it failed. so i took it out. i now am left with a working G5 with no OS on it.

I tried to burn many many versions of Linux for PPC on a DVD disk. Many versions of Mac OS X also. 10.4 to be specific. Also tried USB but G5s can't boot from usb at all. So what should i do?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.6 GHz Single Core Single Processo

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 3:31 AM

7 replies

Feb 15, 2015 5:59 AM in response to bpali2001

i have put the iso of the desktop linux on a cd and tried to run that. that just went into live mode and the desktop wasn't really loading in. so i have put the alternate install cd on a disk and tried to install that. that started just fine and asked for the name of the computer. i named it pressed enter. then the install process should have been begun but the only thing i saw was a terminal sort of typing area down at the bottom of the pink screen. the fans of the g5 were running like a jet engine. this happened to me once with it when it has some sort of a problem with it. i didn't know what to do then. i didn't wanted to break the machine. and i just couldn't listen to the sound of the ridiculously loud fans so i forced the computer to turn off.

Feb 15, 2015 12:37 PM in response to BDAqua

hey aqua:) i installed linux ubuntu 12.04 successfully. BUT theres one more thing... (Steve Jobs joke. get it?) ubuntus textures cant load. i mean i log in it asks for the password and after that. i see the taskbar up top and nothing else. where the dock is there are no real icons just a simple orange background and when i hower over them with the cursor it shows the name of the apps. when i click on one it shows up on the left upper corner like it does in mac. other thing. the place of the desktop is just simply white. cant use my machine again/still.

G5 can't boot! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.