Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving fcp 7 files to bigger drive

Hi - would really appreciate some help. I am cutting a short film on Final Cut Pro 7.0. I filmed on Canon XF305 and converted to Pro Res for FCP. I've ended up filming way more than originally intended, primarily because the person I'm doing it for wants a lot of archive banked if they should need it in the future. I bought a 1TB Seagate external hard drive thinking it would be sufficient. It is filling up rapidly and I know it's not going to be big enough.

I need to move the whole lot (rushes and project files) onto a bigger drive and was wondering what the protocol is for doing this so that the copying is smooth and I can continue editing. Does moving everything affect FCP 'seeing' the file and finding pathways to the original files? I know I'll have to change the capture scratch settings - what impact will that have?

I'm in a bit of a jam and up against a deadline - I would appreciate any advice on this. Sorry to post in Final Cut X - there isn't a forum for 7 here and I haven't made jump to X yet.

Thank you in advance.

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 5:32 AM

9 replies

Feb 15, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Bluemallers

Is it an external or internal drive you are looking for? Go for the largest you can afford. Keep all of your material there (rushes, project files, secondary material) but always have a back up handy, you never know. Keep in mind that drives become slower as the fill up and the more one goes above 50% of their capacity the more apparent that becomes.

Onto FCP. Once you move your rushes onto a new drive, all clips inside your project will become offline. That is not catastrophic as you can reconnect all media. In fact FCP is not bad with that. Once you point it to the file it is asking for it will sort out the rest; well, almost. You may have to repeat the procedure a couple of times. Changing the scratch settings has no impact on your project. That only "tells" FCP to capture or ingest new material onto the new drive. Better still, name your new drive as the old one and have the exact folder structure in it.

Feb 15, 2015 11:19 AM in response to hyphen

Hi Hyphen,

Thank you for your help. I'm looking to get another external hard drive. I'm going to go and pick up a 2TB one tomorrow to move everything across. And on Meg's suggestion I'm also going to clone it.

So do I just do a simple copy and paste of all the files on my current hard drive and move them exactly as is to a new hard drive? If I move everything as is, it will have the old capture scratch files from the previous hard drive. Does this matter or will FCP simply create another set of capture scratches for the new drive? I'm probably over thinking this. Just worried about any potential pitfalls. Do you just hit reconnect media in FCP and it automatically connects everything?

If you don't mind - can I get back to this thread if I encounter any problems transferring onto a new drive?

Thanks again for your help.

BM

Feb 15, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Bluemallers

I

Bluemallers wrote:

If I move everything as is, it will have the old capture scratch files from the previous hard drive. Does this matter or will FCP simply create another set of capture scratches for the new drive?

If, for example, your old drive is called FCP scratch and all fcp data is in FCP scratch/Final Cut Pro Documents/, all you need to do is to name your new drive FCP scratch and copy the folder Final Cut Pro Documents onto it. Of course once you do this you need to change the name of the old drive to something else, FCP scratch Old, for example. You can explore Meg's suggestion, which is very elegant but if I am not mistaken you need to repeat it for each an every project you have active. The benefit to using the Media Manager is that you can move your data wherever you want without worrying about labels.

If you can afford it, go for a 3 or 4 TB drive (need I remind you to always have back-ups? clones as Meg suggested) Even 2 TB fills up quite quickly especially if you engage into heavy rendering. Finally try not to go cheap on any drive you buy (within your budget of course). Video editing is a renowned drive killer.

Feb 15, 2015 12:30 PM in response to hyphen

Hi - I didn't set up my drives very elegantly at all. The root folder is the name of the whole project and the capture scratch folders go in there. I didn't put them into a folder called Final Cut Documents. I've ordered a 2TB Seagate Back up plus portable drive so I hope that will be ok. It should be fine for what I've got left to film and for big rendering etc. I'll check in with how I get on. Thanks again.

Lucy

Moving fcp 7 files to bigger drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.