Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac - internet doesn't work

I took delivery of a brand new 21.5" iMac a week ago. When it first arrived the internet was fine - then intermittently it started to go slow or just fail to load pages even though I could see it was connected to the router and had full signal strength. The problems gradually got worse and I'm now at the point where I have to turn the Wi-Fi on the mac off, then on again for each page I try to load. I know this is an issue with the mac because all other devices in my house that rely on the Wi-Fi are working fine. I've browsed a few message boards and can see that this seems to be a common issue but no one has a solution to it. Is this something I can fix myself or is it a hardware problem?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 10:12 AM

15 replies

Feb 15, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Community User

know this is an issue with the mac because all other devices in my house that rely on the Wi-Fi are working fine.

Are any of the other devices Macs and are they running Yosemite?

If the Mac is less than 15 days old (from the time of delivery) return it to the nearest Apple store for a full refund and get a new one. If it's over the 15 day limit make an appointment with the nearest Apple Genius bar to have it checked out. Many Macs running Yosemite are having problems with WiFI so you should jump on this ASAP.

User uploaded file

Feb 15, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Community User

You can return a new Mac within 14 days of purchase.

Return it and get another one.

A new Mac is in warranty for 1 year from the date of purchase.

A new Mac comes with 90 days of free tech support from AppleCare.

AppleCare: 1-800-275-2273

You can try this.

Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all the lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14204

Best.

Feb 15, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Old Toad

No, only this Mac. I have an ios8 iPhone, Roku and there's a windows laptop all connected that are working fine though.

Glad I got the apple care for this now. I ordered mine from the net and bumped up the specs a bit so I doubt I could do a straight swap for a new mac at the nearest store. I'll phone apple so see what they say tomorrow - thanks for the advice.

Feb 15, 2015 11:35 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks for the help. I've tried the usual powering down and back up again but to no avail.

What would the difference be when running in safe mode? Would the internet be more stable?

Mar 2, 2015 2:48 AM in response to Community User

I'm having this EXACT same issue M0d1fy... I also have a Late 2013 iMac but in 27".. Did you end up getting it sorted?

So far, I have narrowed it down to:

• (Possibly) Whenever I open a new tab on Safari, but only when it's been around 5 minutes since it last happend
  • It's not just Safari that dies, all network traffic seems to drop (Teamspeak, Eve: Online, My PLEX Server on my own network [using IP address to access]).
  • It does NOT happen when I open a new tab on Google Chrome, however, it seems ridiculously slow at times (I tried to run a speed test before, and it took about 20 seconds just to get a 14ms ping)

Being a computer tech, things I've tried:

• Restarting computer
  • Removing WIFI Settings (and setting files)
  • Clearing Safari Cache
  • Removing ALL Safari plugins
  • Pinging Google using IP address and DNS Name while I open a new tab - Drops packets instantly
  • Restarting Modem and Router (Multiple times)

It's not happening on one of my other 2 MBP's or 3 iPhones or 2 PC's... (yeah, I'm a tech-head. lol)

I'm really at wits end, I have no clue what to do anymore. Is anyone able to help?

Mar 2, 2015 1:19 PM in response to DanMcGillis

Thats interesting you say that DanMcGillis. I did my update ages ago (I can't even see it in my recent updates in the last 30 days part) so I think I did that update a while ago. I swear this issue only started happening in the last week though, so maybe something in the update bugs out?

I was going to call Applecare last night but found that I couldn't because this is a replacement iMac from my original one due to a speaker issue when I first got it, and the Apple Care plan hadn't been transferred over for some reason 😟

This issue has made it next to un-usable. 😟

Mar 2, 2015 1:26 PM in response to egadgetjnr

Hi, I didn't get it sorted exactly. I seem to have stumbled on a fix and I think the issue might be to do with the compatibility between my old router and new mac. If I were to make an educated guess based on the problems I've had and what others have described I'd say this is a software problem with the new OS - maybe it's just a little bit incompatible with certain routers?

I've been in contact with apple support a lot over the last 10 days and I'd just like to ay that despite not finding a fix they have been really helpful. One of the senior guys let me know that because I'd reported the issue that he would let the after sales team know if I wanted to swap the Mac, even though I'd gone over the 14 days (I'd probably be pushing my luck if I asked them to honour that now though).

So, what we tried was;

• Solution 1: rename the config file, reboot the system so the config settings are reset. This worked for a few hours until the problem resurfaced then gradually got worse.
  • Solution 2: reinstall the OS - again this worked for a while, before gradually getting worse again.
  • Solution 3: Open Network Preferences, use the minus key to delete all internet connections then set up the Wi-Fi again - didn't help.
  • Solution 4: set up a new admin user, sign in there and see if the problem occurs. Again same thing, this worked for a number of hours before the problem crept back. I do find it a bit weird how the fixes seem ok for a while then it just gradually dies.

Trying the troubleshooting basically narrowed it down to a problem with the router or the Mac. So I took the Mac to my Dad's flat where he has BT Infinity with a fairly new modem and router. The internet seemed fine there - it was faster (as expected) and didn't drop out at all. My only worry is that I only had one night to test it there, so I can't guarantee after a weeks usage the same thing might not happen there also.

Not wanting to have to buy a new router I did try something which for now seems to have worked quite well and now I get internet connectivity for a good day or two, before there's a bit of a wobble but I repeat the same troubleshooting process and it works fine again. This is what I did:

1. Alt click on the Wi-Fi icon on the menu bar.
  2. Select 'Open Wireless Diagnostics...'
  3. Don't press continue in the box that opens, but instead select 'Window' from the menu bar, then 'Scan'.
  4. In the box that opens up hit 'Scan Now' and check the numbers next to Best 2.4GHz.
  5. Next - type in your routers IP address in Safari to access it's settings. I found the IP for mine by google searching the router on my iPhone and downloading the instructions.
  6. Access the wireless settings.
  7. Configure the channel that the router is using so it matches one of the numbers that was shown next to Best 2.4GHz.
  8. I also changed the interface type to 802.11g (seemed to be the best my router had) and the WPA-PSK to WPA2. Also check that the router firmware is up to date.
  9. Finally open up Spotify and play victory tune of your choice.

Whenever the Wi-Fi has a bit of a wobble I just switch the channels once or twice and it seems to come back to life.

The router I'm using is a really old Speedtouch 585 all in one. It's been reliable though and I've never had problem like this with any other devices. I'd be interested to know what other people are using. I should also point out that I'm not actually all that techy - I've just sort of fixed this through belligerent trail and error. I'd like to know if this helps anyone else.

Mar 2, 2015 1:44 PM in response to egadgetjnr

egadgetjnr wrote:

I was going to call Applecare last night but found that I couldn't because this is a replacement iMac from my original one due to a speaker issue when I first got it, and the Apple Care plan hadn't been transferred over for some reason 😟

This issue has made it next to un-usable. 😟

Call Apple Customer Relations - 1-800-275-2273. Ask politely & firmly that you want to be transferred to Customer Relations. Tell them exactly what you stated in your post.

GOOD LUCK!

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2015 2:58 PM in response to egadgetjnr

Unfortunately my router is so old that it doesn't have 802.11n. However, switching onto 802.11g has stabilised the Wi-Fi so it works most of the time now. Also, when I tested at my Dad's place the more modern router there was switched to 802.11n only and the worked fine. So it looks like this could well be a fix. Hope this works out for you also, I'd be interested to know how it goes.

Mar 5, 2015 3:41 PM in response to PurpleHaze259

I gave up with the issue.

I can't find the option to set it to 802.11n due to Netgear being stupid (You'd think their latest top of the range router would have the option to set it. 😟)

I spent over 2 hours on the phone to AppleCare and I felt like pulling my hair out.

After all the diagnosing and such, their response was: "oh, it must be a software issue, Erase and re-install Mac OSX" to which I was NOT going to do and advised them of this as there has been people who've done this and it has done nothing to fix their issue.

I'm still having issues, and it's getting annoying... I think I'll just turn it off and use a PC for the next month or so until they release an update that hopefully fixes it. 😟

Mar 8, 2015 6:19 AM in response to DanMcGillis

DanMcGillis - have you tried changing the routers channel? My Wi-Fi is fine most of the time but when it starts to go wrong I do this and it works again.

egadgetjnr - there must be instructions online somewhere that will tell you how to do this?

iMac - internet doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.