Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 6 sequence fails in Compressor 3

I have a 60 minute project comprising three 20 minute sequences. They are of mixed media clips (TIFFs, H.264, DV, etc). I'm exporting each to Compressor.

Sequences 1 and 3 are compressed just fine. But Sequence 2 fails again and again, even after trashing preferences, restarting, etc. There is no explanation other than 'failed', which is of no use. Any suggestions as to how I can work out why one sequence just will not work?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory 800 MHz

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 11:23 AM

4 replies

Feb 15, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Freddy Silva

Export Sequence 2 as QuickTime Movie, Self Contained and Without Conversion.

If you get a successful export, then take that exported file into Compressor and do the conversion.

If you have trouble exporting Sequence 2, without more information the suspects are the H,264 files, and the size and color mode of the .tiff files, which needs to be RGB at 8 bits/ channel and less than 4000 pixels in the widest dimension.

MtD

Feb 15, 2015 5:18 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks Meg.

All Tiffs and jpgs are under 2500 pixels and in RBG 8-bit; there are H.264 files in the other two sequences and they compress fine. Given that all three sequence settings and codecs are identical, obviously there is a file somewhere that Ceompressor doesn't like in Sequence 2.

At one point I split Seq 2 into four sections adn exported each one: all failed. I then copy and pasted all of Seq 2 into Seq 1 — making for a 40 min. sequence — and that failed. So obviously there is something amiss within Seq 2. I just wish I knew what it was because I've checked as much as I can.

I am loathe to make a Quicktime file to send to Compressor because the quality suffers compared to the other two Sequences.

Feb 15, 2015 6:08 PM in response to Freddy Silva

If you are editing in on a timeline with a codec that is equal or better in quality than your source material, you will not see any quality loss when you export a QuickTime movie in the sequence codec, and then use that file in Compressor.

A usual workflow is to edit in FCP-7, then export a master file of the finished edit, and then take that master file into Compressor to create your deliverables.

H.264 is not an edit friendly codec in FCP, the fact that you have had success is a function of luck. H.264 files should be converted to an edit friendly codec prior to ingest in FCP. Problems with H.264 files show up in all kinds of unexpected ways. If you check this forum, you'll find countless posts on this subject.

This, however, may not be your problem. Exporting the Sequence as a QuickTime is another way to test the integrity of the sequence - if you have a successful export, then you know the sequence is not problem and the media itself, when presented as source files to Compressor, is.

MtD

Feb 16, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks again.

Yes, exporting the sequence as a QT movie and then sending it to Compressor works, as you say.

Still, leaves me wondering what the issue is. If all three sequences are set the same, all use the same mix of codecs and source material, and two compress successfully, obviously there is a file in Seq 2 that Compressor is not liking. Too bad it will not tell me what needs fixing.

FYI, I've used H.264 clips shot on my Nikon DSLR for years, never had an issue. Bizarre indeed.

FCP 6 sequence fails in Compressor 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.