Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes.exe - Entry Point Not Found after reinstall

OK so I am using Windows XP, 32bit machine but it does 99% of my work

Said yes to iTunes 12.1 update, iTunes nolonger runs on PC but pops up a warning window

iTunes.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point CMTimeConvertScale could not be located in the dynamic link library CoreMedia.dll

OK'ing this

produces new window: -

iTunes was not installed correctly, Please reinstall iTunes

error 7 (Windows error 127)

Uninstalled iTunes 'only' from the Control Panel

Reinstalled iTunes version 11.1.5 (Windows XP 32bit) which did run on PC

Still see the same error. A bit stuffed as my music is in linbo.

A fix would be wonderful.

Thank you folks

iPod nano, Windows XP

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 2:04 PM

Entry point errors can often be fixed by deleting the offending dll, then repairing the component it is part of. CoreMedia.dll is part of Apple Application Support.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If the advice above doesn't resolve things you could try this alternate version:

iTunes 12.1.0.71 for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) - itunes64setup.exe (2015-01-28)

which is a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit version of the core application, similar to previous 64-bit releases.

Or roll back to the previous build:

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2015 2:04 PM in response to alanfromcheshire

Entry point errors can often be fixed by deleting the offending dll, then repairing the component it is part of. CoreMedia.dll is part of Apple Application Support.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If the advice above doesn't resolve things you could try this alternate version:

iTunes 12.1.0.71 for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) - itunes64setup.exe (2015-01-28)

which is a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit version of the core application, similar to previous 64-bit releases.

Or roll back to the previous build:

tt2

Feb 18, 2015 8:36 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello tt2. I have the same issue as alan and as I try to begin with your advice of uninstalling iTunes, I have some windows pop up at me telling otherwise that prevents me from uninstalling:
User uploaded file

The first pop up is what originally showed whenever I tried to update to the latest version of iTunes whenever I opened it but instead clicked cancel as my iTunes did not change without the update and I didn't mind not having it. Why I now have the same issue as alan is because I tried to download the latest version via Apple's site where I could not continue with the update/install because... I forget what it said now. It's kind of annoying as just moments before trying to download the latest version via Apple, my iTunes was up and normal ^^;

I was wondering how to proceed if I cannot even uninstall iTunes?

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I am using Windows 7 and am unsure what bit it is.

Feb 20, 2015 8:32 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction turingtest2, my iTunes software is now up and running.

Followed instruction in the 'second box' you mentioned (seems a bit obvious now) and installed iTune version 11.1.5.5

as provided by and suggested by Apple for Windows XP 32bit machines.

iTunes then started up but reported that: -

'The file 'iTunes Library.itl' cannot be read because it was created with a newer version of iTunes'.

which made sense as the attempt to run version 12.1 would likely have written a newer file into My Documents/My Music/itunes/ directory which version 11.1.5.5 would not know about.

The /My Music/iTune directory remains unchanged following the uninstallation of iTunes. If I understand correctly on startup, Itunes looks for and reads the file 'iTune Library.itl' to locate your music. When reverting to an older version of iTunes, this file now confuses the software.

Fixing this problem is well covered on the internet so followed the instructions. Essentially replacing my current version of the 'iTunes Library.itl' file located in your /My Music/iTunes/ directory with a copy of a suitable historic file named 'iTunes Library' (date stamped) from /My Music/iTunes/Previous Libraries directory. (The files in this directory are date stamped for example iTunes Library 2014-12-24) choose the most likely file in the list that you know was generated when iTunes last worked correctly. This is likely to be the last file in the list. Move it into /My Music/iTunes/ directory changing its name to 'iTunes Library.itl'. You should keep a copy of the existing 'iTunes Libraery.itl' maybe on your Desktop first, just in case!

At this point restating iTune prompted me with the option to look for and import 'media' which I said yes to. iTunes then started listing all my music as it was imported into iTunes. After a minute or so I noticed that photo images from a completely separate directory seem to be being imported so I stopped the importing. Restarted iTunes and all my music appeared as before. What happened to the photo images that I I don't want in iTunes that appeared to have been imported, I do not know.

Interestingly when first plugging in my iPod iTunes claimed that it required a Factory Rest which would trash all the music on it. I declined this option. Unplugged the iPod, restarted iTunes and plugged in the iP{od a second time, now read correctly and all OK.

Might just mention that on this PC I have two other iTunes accounts used by other members of the family. In these accounts I could not find an 'iTunes Library.itl' file, only one named 'iTunes Library'. So when I copy the 'iTunes Library (dated) file, I just named it iTunes Library. All seems OK with these accounts.

What a faff for no gain.

Thanks again.

Feb 20, 2015 10:29 AM in response to alanfromcheshire

The most recent pre-iTunes 12 version is iTunes 11.4. I added links to this near the bottom of the further information area of the user tip earlier today. Rolling back to an earlier build does indeed mean that you also need to restore an older version of the library file. I cover this in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash (also linked to in the troubleshooting tip). It should make clear that the Windows preference to show or hide file extensions controls whether or not you see the .itl as part of the file name. If you get prompted to scan for media then the rename operations haven't been successful, which leads iTunes to create a new empty library file, and it may then want to erase and reload devices when you connect them.

I agree, far too much faff when things go wrong. 😟

tt2

Mar 4, 2015 5:46 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you tt2. As mentioned by alan, it is quite simple and straightforward when you realize. I repaired itunes one night but it was taking a long time and I was going to bed so I cancelled it - this was last week or so. Today I check to see and itunes is gone so I continued to uninstall the other parts too. There were no problems. I then installed the latest version of itunes from the link given and all works well, and no pop ups or anything occurred. Thank you for your direction. 🙂

iTunes.exe - Entry Point Not Found after reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.