Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually Transfer File - No Migration Assistant

I bought a Macbook Air last Sunday and after many unsuccessful attempts to use migration assistant in transferring everything from my 2009 MacBook pro, I am fed up and going to resort to manually copying files. All I need to move is my iTunes Library, Calibre Library with all of my e-books, and a few select documents.

Can I use file sharing between my old MacBook pro and new MacBook air to copy these items? What would be the best way to do this?

Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 2:18 PM

1 reply

Feb 17, 2015 7:06 AM in response to ronaedrew

Hello there ronadrew,

It sounds like you 2 libraries of content you want to move over to your new computer. As far as your iTunes library is concerned, you can certainly use File Sharing as an option if you like but you have to modify folder permissions and access to do that. This article should help you do that, named:

OS X Yosemite: Share your files with other Mac users

If these computers are both connected to the network via Wi-Fi, it may be faster to copy the iTunes library to an external drive, then copy the library over to another computer using this article:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

As far as your Calibre library you may be able to use one of the above methods to copy your library over, but I would check with the support and/or documentation available from the developer for the best way to go about that.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Manually Transfer File - No Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.