Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Ram on Mac Pro (mid 2010) 8 Core

I currently have 8gb ddr3 1066 and 8gb ddr3 1333 both ECC putting me at 16 gb ram. When i purchased them i didn't know there was a difference in ram. To upgrade do i need to buy x2 8gb or can i buy a single. When installing this a few years ago i learned that you couldn't just mix and match ram since i tried to add the stock 2gb ram to the open slots but my mac wouldn't turn on. Is there any advice on how i could effectively upgrade my ram by another 16 gb and does 1066 and 1333 make a difference? is ECC necessary for it to work on mac?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 1:45 PM

Mac Pro- How to remove or install memory

4 replies

Feb 15, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Nzan3

ECC DIMMs are required. If you could get a non-ECC DIMM to fit, it would shut off memory error correction, one of the best features of the Mac Pro with Xeon Processor.

Replacement DIMMs MUST have a large heatsink and Apple approved temperature sensor, because Apple reduces the airflow (based on measured temperatures) for quiet performance. Other manufacturers do not necessarily do this, and if you do not have the correct heatsinks and temperature sensors, the fans may run at full speed, or the DIMMs may die prematurely from overheating.

You can upgrade the DIMMs on each side (group of four slots) by the each. Pairs are not required. Most DIMMs 8GB and under mix readily with others, but some do not. Try the new ones by themselves first, so that you know first whether they work at all, then whether they "play nice with others".

You can spend the next month learning about exactly which DIMMs will and which will not work in your Mac. I do not recommend you do this for a one-off purchase. Instead, buy from a Mac-Centric Vendor who can tell YOU what DIMMs should be used in your Mac, and will stand by them:

"It works in your Mac,

or your money back."

Feb 16, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Nzan3

your mac uses triple channel

I assume that you are seeing pageouts or just using 2x8GB (dual-channel mode) is not enough?

Some (most graphic apps) do appreciate 24-32GB (or more but that would mean all new 16GB DIMMs)

Finding good ECC DDR3 is not as easy an non-ECC, and yes you want/need ECC.

Kingston and Crucial as well as DataMemory and RAMjet all specialize (as do others) as Mac vendors along with OWC.

If you have a 5,1 and have a W36xx or X56xx cpu then DDR3 1333MHz and most all DRAM are backward compatible.

mixing RDIMM and UDIMM for instance will not.

I thought DIMM slots 3&4 had to be identical but that has been shown to not be true but they do share a single channel.

Upgrading Ram on Mac Pro (mid 2010) 8 Core

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.