Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Options for a relic

I have a 2008 Mac Book Pro, in good-working order, aside from the DVD drive being smashed in. It's a long story, but to keep it short...

doing homework on the floor + drunken roommate stumbling in = smushed DVD drive (and me ****** off)

So I have not physically been able to insert discs into my macbook for some time now, and all of my application software is that 2008. My question is, how should I go about fixing such a problem? Should I see if it can be repaired and updated while I'm at it? Or should I see if its time to just back-up the hard-drive, wipe it, and invest in a new one?

P.S I don't have the specific model/serial number on me right now, but it was the 17" 2008 Macbook Pro, which I believe is the first-generation Macbook Pro (yeah...its been awhile).

Thanks for any information on this matter!!

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1.2, First gen Macbook 17" display.

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 1:56 PM

4 replies

Feb 15, 2015 2:02 PM in response to oXSlartibartFastXo

how should I go about fixing such a problem?

Your appointment at the genius bar for an evaluation is free, in warranty or out. If they can fix it in a few minutes, without expending parts, they will. Those guys put their hands on these machines all day, every day. Physical problems and power problems is what they are best at.

My son had a DVD reader on his MacBook that would not accept discs, and they tried the special tool that was field-developed for this purpose. That did not work, so they took it in the back and took it apart and had it working a few minutes later. No charge.

Of course, your mileage may vary. But almost all repairs are flat rate, no surprises. Apple wants you to be a happy customer.

Feb 15, 2015 2:03 PM in response to oXSlartibartFastXo

It's not quite near the first generation. That was in 2006. Yours is a 4th gen. You can replace the broken DVD drive. In fact it's possible an Apple Store can get that done, but if they no longer can get the part then you can find a replacement that may work on eBay and fix it yourself. You can might also check to see if OWC has a replacement optical drive.

In any case you must backup the hard drive. Get a suitable external drive and clone the internal drive to get started.

Options for a relic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.