Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s iMessage won't delete/send and freezes

Ok. So I'll start by saying I've seen other people post this question. But I haven't seen any replies. So I'm starting my own thread to hope apple finally admits there is a problem with iMessage and addresses it.

My iPhone 5s. A year old. Won't delete old messages. No matter what I do. They end up coming back. Its eating up space. I've heard of others having this problem. I've tried deleting one at a time. I've tried deleting a bunch. The only thing that permanently gets rid of them, is if i start fresh. Which I don't really want to do. My 4s started doing this but that was after I had it for 2+ years. So I got the 5s. Now that its doing it in a year of owning it, I'm seriously considering android.

Second problem, and definitely the larger one, is that iMessage freezes up at least once a day. If not more. It will attempt to send a message, but freeze on the last little bit. When one message freezes up, that's it, my messages won't work at all. Can't send or receive anything Doesn't matter if i try to message someone else. etc. The other night I didn't notice it happened, and for over an hour it just didn't send or recieve anything. Just sat there, then suddenly, boom half a dozen messages from the last hour. I've attached an image of it freezing on the last bit of the send bar.

User uploaded file

It'll freeze like that for 10+ minutes sometimes. And during that time. I can't do ANYTHING. If I press the home button to close the iMessage app, I'm screwed. I can use other apps, but iMessage won't come up at all. Unless I restart my phone at least once, if not a couple times. If I click on iMessage, this is what I will see.

User uploaded file

For several minutes. And the phone is completely frozen. Pressing the home button doesn't do anything. I can't exit iMessage. I can lock it, turn it off, or reset it. But yeah, that's about it. And if I do leave iMessage to do its thing for 10+ minutes? This is what I see.

User uploaded file

New message? That's not what I want! So I click cancel. And this is what I see.

User uploaded file

An empty messages screen. Until I either restart it, reset it, etc. Whatever.

This time it only froze for a minute or so. But, look at how much battery it used. 2 percent in a minute? This error happens all the time, and it CHEWS through battery. Not only that, the phone gets EXTREMELY hot when it tries to send a message and it won't work. I can't hold it with my bare hand hot. Its dangerous honestly.

I assume its some sort of runaway memory error that eats into it, but whatever it is, its frustrating. What good is a phone that won't text? That completely freezes up and locks up at will almost daily?

Like I said. I've seen other topics about not being able to delete old messages. But I haven't seen one where it won't send and it locks up the whole iMessage thing. I think its some memory error with messages. I've tried deleting old messages, butttt it won't actually delete them. I've set my thing to delete messages over a year old, but that didn't work either. I don't know. I've restarted and updated, I've wiped and restored from backup. I've tried everything short of wipe and not restore. And I'd rather not do that.

If anyone has come across this and has a fix. Or if apple has a fix. Let me know. If not, I guess I'm going android.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 9:59 PM

have your tried cleaning your cache? and updating the iphone to the latest or restoring the iphone to the same ios and not recovering the data by the itunes backup. might be something messing up with your backup.

do the following

Backup your iphone manually i.e. by iTools or icloud

then restore to the same ios (if possible or update to the latest ios version)

then dont restore the data back. try it before restoring to the backup.

if all goes well, then there was something wrong with your backup. might be any file or so.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 9:59 PM in response to Lustle

have your tried cleaning your cache? and updating the iphone to the latest or restoring the iphone to the same ios and not recovering the data by the itunes backup. might be something messing up with your backup.

do the following

Backup your iphone manually i.e. by iTools or icloud

then restore to the same ios (if possible or update to the latest ios version)

then dont restore the data back. try it before restoring to the backup.

if all goes well, then there was something wrong with your backup. might be any file or so.

Apr 1, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Lustle

I have the identical problem. First found it about 4 months ago when I decided it would be a good idea to turn on the delete messages after a year setting and wondered why my battery life went to about an hour. Finally figured it out switched it off and it was kinda sorted. Now however it has got to the stage where I cannot even use messages. Phone gets hot, freezes, won't send, lags when opening Messages. Tried all sorts fm deleting and leaving my phone over night to restoring from back. only thing I am yet to do is a total restart which I'm not very keen on. Lustle you arnt he only one with the issue. Mine is identical.

Apr 21, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Lustle

You are not alone - mine does the exact same thing. If I delete a text, it won't reopen iMessage properly (freezing, only showing one message out of an entire conversation, etc.), the phone itself gets super hot and kills the battery from 100% in like an hour.

Upgrading to iOS 8.3 was supposed to fix it but it did nothing; it is extremely annoying and frustrating. Only by rebooting will it work properly, but the old deleted texts return at that point.

Apple needs to get on this and quick. There's no reason such an expensive device shouldn't work exactly how it's supposed to.

Losing my patience...

Apr 22, 2015 12:06 AM in response to Lustle

I eventually managed to solve the problem and I haven't upgraded yet. I use one of the desktop/laptop run iPhone cleaner applications, plug in you iPhone run and the software then deletes all cach, temp files and rubbish left on the phone. I had expressed it to delete all text messages and non essential filles on my phone (leaves photos and game saves etc). Did it's magic and messages has been working fine ever since. Even sped up the phone, so one of those products that defo worked for me. I guess a corrupted message is prob the issue. Hope that helps, I'm not sure on the rules of posting exact 3rd party applications but it shouldnt be hard to find on google.

iPhone 5s iMessage won't delete/send and freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.