Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to always open document windows so same size and position?

How to always open document windows so same size and position? I

have to re-size and re-position veery darn window i ever open, because they always open in some odd &/or undesirable, unoptimal size and position on my screen.

This is a constant aggravation in the various docs i use most,

whether it's Finder, Notetaker, Pages, TextEdit, Stickies, etc.

I would like for them to open full size, preferably most of the screen, and with the right edge entirely to the right edge of the screen (so that if i click there to scroll i don't hit and open a window behind it).

Surely this has long been solved.

Whoever is kind enough to solve this for me soon will be in for a gracious Thanking.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 3:50 PM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2015 11:12 AM in response to thelnukus

I really dislike this! I think I recall that TextEdit used to save window position. It seems to save window size, but always opens them in a tiled fashion in the center of the screen. Arrgh! Does anyone know if whatever the "NewWindow method" is in TextEdit (and CloseWindow method) could be swizzled to pull out width and height arguments from somewhere in the rtfd bundle file?

I imagine this would have to pull the size/location data out of the bundle, set a flag somewhere in a spot of shared memory. Then the NSWindow:NewWindow (or whatever) method would have to be similarly swizzled to check said flag, change the width and height properties in the passed in window descriptor, and then pass it along to the system method. Whether such a spot in memory could be made with modern memory protection - I have no idea (how I loved back when you could just use jGNE and the like to swizzle things, and memory protection didn't really exist. Of course, the hackers loved it too.) Whether method swizzle can be done *at all*.

(Or whether it's possible anymore to do the reverse engineering to figure out what to swizzle) as Apple moves at least some of their applications' code to Swift. I read somewhere that they are doing that with the Finder, which makes such hackery nearly impossible, which is why we no longer have FinderPop. (I think it was FinderPop)

How to always open document windows so same size and position?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.