Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inbound traffic alert (ESET) - Application: System

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

I have installed ESET Cyber Security Pro a while ago, and an inbound traffic alert just popped up. "A remote computer is attempting to communicate with an application running on this computer. Do you wish to allow this communication?"

The application involved is "System", local port is TCP 8770. The remote computer is fe80::4c8d:97ff:feb4:5d8d, remote port is 56398.

I am still new to Mac, and therefore I'm not sure if I should allow or block. I thought that it might be system updates, but not too sure about that so I'd rather wait for an answer before proceeding.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 4:20 AM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2015 4:41 AM in response to willem89

Port 8770 is used for the Digital Photo Access Protocol, which in the case of a Mac means sharing of photos. I'm not sure exactly how this port is used in Yosemite, but you can bet this is just another Mac or iOS device on your local network querying your Mac to see if it is sharing any photos. It is very unlikely that you have a network configuration that would even allow a truly "remote" computer to connect to yours over the internet.

ESET is wasting your time here. Uninstall it, and see my Mac Malware Guide for more information about protecting yourself from malware.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Inbound traffic alert (ESET) - Application: System

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.