Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

k9 macoptimiser

whilst in the middle of downloading open office I inadvertently downloaded K9 optimiser which was part of open office screen. I know I'm a knob for not checking but that's what happens when in a hurry. I've deleted the icon from system preference but cannot get rid of it from launch pad, anyone any ideas how to uninstall this parasitic app.

Mike

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 8:30 AM

4 replies

Feb 16, 2015 5:52 PM in response to micarhardy

Quit the fake "utility" named "K9-MacOptimizer" if it's running, then drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash. Empty. Never install anything like it again. The computer doesn't need to be "optimized," and any web page that says otherwise is a scam.

Often installed along with "K9" is the malicious Safari extension "Omnibar." It must be removed in the Extensions pane of the Safari preferences window. Remove all other extensions you don't know you have a use for. If in doubt, just remove all of them. None is endorsed by Apple and none is required to make full use of Safari.

Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

Never install an extension with the words "Spigot," "Conduit," "Genieo," or "Trovi" in the description, no matter what you think it does. In fact, never install any Safari extension, or any third-party software of any kind, without carefully researching it first. Don't assume that software is safe to use unless it comes directly from Apple or another developer well known to you, or from the Mac App Store.

Feb 17, 2015 2:35 AM in response to micarhardy

Hi all,

I actually mailed the parasites, insulted them a bit and lo and behold, got a mail back from them saying similar solutions to what has been advised here.

The easiest way is to go into applications, find the icon for K9 right click, select the option to send to trash. The thing is, if you can't see the icon first off, move the SIDEWAYS bar, mine was hidden out of sight, it was there but not in plain view.

thanks all

Mike

k9 macoptimiser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.