Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Preview’s and permission issues

Since upgrading to Yosemite last week I have had few issues. However, the issues I have been having with Preview I can’t live with. I use Preview a lot. I have been experiencing the permissions issues that others have described. Tried the fixes recommended and had no joy. i.e. I create a screen grab, then I can’t open it, or I can open it but then not another… Frustrating is not the word.

Recently though I have a new issue, I click on an image and it might open two or three times, each with it’s own copy of Preview running according to the Activity Monitor. What is going on? Anyone got any magic cures?

User uploaded file

Repaired disc permissions. Used DiscWarrior to repair the disc permissions. Tried the Linc Davis ‘Repairing the permissions of a home folder.’ No success.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 32 GB

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 9:44 AM

4 replies

Feb 16, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Paul Kesterton

I don't know which of Linc's posts you tried, so I hope this doesn't duplicate that.

Permission Issues - Troubleshooting

You may need to rebuild permissions on your user account. To do this,boot to your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys while booting) and open Terminal from the Utilities menu. In Terminal, type: ‘resetpassword’ (without the ’s), hit return, and select the admin user. You are not going to reset your password. Click on the icon for your Macs hard drive at the top. From the drop down below it select the user account which is having issues. At the bottom of the window, you'll see an area labeled Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the reset button there. The process takes a few minutes. When complete, restart.

Repair User Permissions

User File Ownership - Reset see post by Linc Davis

Feb 16, 2015 3:00 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, I have tried resetting the ACL's before (Linc Davis), and just again. Everything seems to go fine until I click the Reset button, it turns grey and shows a grey 'Done.' Then nothing happens - the longest I have left it is just over an hour. The 'Done' button never becomes clickable or full coloured. So I have 'stopped' it (I presume), and restarted.

Preview is still the same just now, some files open in Preview, while some images I created earlier today don't, unless I quit Preview each time before opening the next image.

How long should the Reset take? and how do I know when it's finished?

Multiple Preview’s and permission issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.