Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will Apple address the following email issue: The operation couldn’t be completed. (MCMailErrorDomain error 1030.) Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox....

Having this issue with Mail:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (MCMailErrorDomain error 1030.)

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click

Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

MacBook Pro (late 2011) 2.2 Ghz 8G Ram

When will Apple resolve this issue? Never had this issue prior to Yosemite.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Recurring email password issue

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 8:58 AM

14 replies

Feb 6, 2017 10:41 AM in response to J2Biker

Same here, only started after Sierra, only happens while I have a compose window open. It is unbelievably annoying.

Usually the server it mentions as being unable to be read from is not the server related to the email address I am sending the message from.

Currently the one I am looking at is talking about outlook.com, the message I am composing isn't going from an outlook.com address, hasn't come from an outlook.com address, isn't going to be sent via the outlook.com server and I'm using apple mail so as far as I can tell outlook.com should have zero connection to this instance.

I tried clearing the caches and DNS and switching DNS servers, nothing helped.

Mar 26, 2017 1:31 AM in response to Mark Armitage

I tried setting the Drafts folder to the local Drafts, so it would not even need to connect to any server. But this still appears:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (MCMailErrorDomain error 1030.)

The attempt to send data to the server “(null)” failed.

Ironically, this has appeared when composing e-mails in all my accounts, regardless of whether I have good, bad or no internet connection. I therefore believe this is a Mail.app bug.

It is annoying because it interrupts e-mail composition by displaying a dialog sheet in the e-mail you are writing and moving its window, preventing you from writing further. The only workaround I have found so far is to write the e-mail in a different app, like Notes.app or a text editor like TextMate.app, then copy and paste the text into a new e-mail and send it.

Apr 18, 2017 1:27 AM in response to mekka

Same error here, yesterday I upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra, "the operation couldn’t be completed. (MCMailErrorDomain error 1030.)" over and over again while trying to save a draft. Setting it to a local box did not stop the error. Apple: When you force people to save a draft on the server, then make it al least work!

Never had this error running El Capitan, it is a bug in the Mail App in Sierra.

Aug 4, 2017 6:43 AM in response to J2Biker

Hi, I don't know if this issue is still up to dat. I had it today after making a new mailbox called "qwerty.de". Wanted to delete it and got the error message. I use IMAP mailserver and so I closed Apple Mail, then went to the webmailserver and searched for the mailbox there. I found it in the mailstructure and was able to throw the mailbox away on my webmailserver. After then starting Mail on my mac the mailbox was gone. In my case I think the problem was using a name with a .de extension. Hope this will help you.

Oct 28, 2017 5:37 PM in response to J2Biker

I know this is a somewhat dated posting but when I was helping someone today who was getting a similar error notice I found this post when searching for a solution.

What I found in another thread that helped him, and might help others here, was the setting in his gmail account found in Sign-in & security that turns ON "Allow less secure apps:". For him it was OFF and when he switched it to ON the error did not re-occur.

From what I read elsewhere this has something to do with Google not liking clients that don't use OAuth. In the later OS versions Mail does use this feature, and Google now approves this client.

Jun 24, 2015 2:10 AM in response to J2Biker

I'm seeing that same error on an Gmail hosted IMAP server. Not sending, but fetching mail.

1. I've been using the same settings for several years.

2. I have two Gmail accounts, and the other one is working just fine.

3. Connection doctor doesn't show any issues.

4. After a few minutes, the error fixed itself.

This could be a transient DNS error, since the message is about the domain. If that's the case, it will fix itself (my problem did). Alternatively, you'll see lots of people posting different fixes, which don't actually do anything, but which might seem to work for you.

It's annoying that Apple don't have any documentation about the meaning of the error messages. At least, not that I could find: even on the developer site.

Jan 29, 2016 4:27 AM in response to Ian Eiloart

I think it might have to do with the DNS cache. I suddenly got this problem too and I have many types of network connections (public wifi, USB-tethering and every time the DNS setup changes). Sometimes I setup a VPN and then the company mail server gets an internal IP address (split DNS setup). I had this problem and turned on the VPN. The mail went out perfectly in that case so password and so forth are OK. Then I turned VPN off again and it worked again with an outside connection to the company mail server.

My conclusion: somehow a caches was kept and a cached IP-address for the mail server was used that wasn't correct anymore. Hence the 'domain' error. It seems a network change might not always perfectly clear the right caches (mail keeps its own cache somehow and it isn't always cleared when it should?). Switching network settings (e.g. turning a VPN on and off) again, fixed it for me.

I think this is a bug in OS X. I've noticed more often that Apple's optimisations are not always perfectly robust. This might be another example.

I should report this in bugreporter, but I'm too busy.

When will Apple address the following email issue: The operation couldn’t be completed. (MCMailErrorDomain error 1030.) Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.