Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

use old laptop as access point for printer?

I have an old laptop running 10.3 and a printer with ethernet port that I want to use in a room that has no access points. Can I attach the printer to the ethernet port of the laptop, get the laptop onto my wifi, and share this printer so that others on the network can print to it?

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 2:48 PM

10.3 unfortunately has too old a WiFI to be secure. It uses the old WEP encryption standard which has been hacked. Unless you are in some remote location, I wouldn't use it as a WiFI network device. Although you can put a WiFi ethernet bridge on it that supports 802.11g to get the higher encryption of WPA2, and connect the machine via ethernet. As for the sharing, that depends on if the Mac has the printer driver for the printer on 10.3. If not, then you are probably out of luck. See my FAQ* http://www.macmaps.com/printersx.html to see if you can find a driver for it.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Michael Levin

10.3 unfortunately has too old a WiFI to be secure. It uses the old WEP encryption standard which has been hacked. Unless you are in some remote location, I wouldn't use it as a WiFI network device. Although you can put a WiFi ethernet bridge on it that supports 802.11g to get the higher encryption of WPA2, and connect the machine via ethernet. As for the sharing, that depends on if the Mac has the printer driver for the printer on 10.3. If not, then you are probably out of luck. See my FAQ* http://www.macmaps.com/printersx.html to see if you can find a driver for it.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

use old laptop as access point for printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.