Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes match "other" storage space issue

itunes Match eats up all the storage space on my device by packing the infamous "other" category with unknown data. This problem is widespread and an issue for at least a year but has not been properly addressed by Apple. This problem periodically makes the iphone unusable, and the workarounds (below) are tedious to the point of outrage. Apple should take it seriously.

Workarounds from other threads are as follows.

1) Turn off itunes Match and Show all Music

2) Restart phone

OR

Do a full backup and restore of the phone

I've created a new thread for this issue because the old one's title ( iTunes Match on the iPhone 4 uses all free space ) implied that the problem could be device specific, which it clearly is not.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 10:15 AM

11 replies

Feb 16, 2015 10:58 AM in response to TheRobDog22

The "other" category isn't necessarily just iTunes Match info. This can be temporary files from Safari, data from other apps that need to store information other than the initial app, as well as other things. I have iTunes Match with over 7500 songs and I have very little "other" storage on my iPhone 6. Even if you don't use iTunes Match, the "other" category is still going to be an issue for people.

Feb 20, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Csound1

i have this issue on two of my family's iphone 6 pluses and the only thing that works for us is to sign out of the itunes store in settings, wait 10 minutes or so, and then sign back in. our available storage will jump from 0 GB to over 40GB. we are heavy itunes match users. this happens every few weeks.

Feb 20, 2015 2:28 PM in response to mooofy

Thanks for chiming in, Moofy.

I created this thread for two main reasons:

1) To lead people who are having the problem to the workaround solution. (Because the search terms for it are so common, it's not easy to find the workaround solution).

2) To make Apple aware that the problem is common and not isolated to a particular iOS version or iPhone product. A workaround is different than a fix. If Apple wants to retain its reputation for creating well designed, hassle-free products, the problem needs to be addressed.

For the others who don't have this problem, I'm glad for you, but the problem is real for many. I'm aware that the "other" storage is used for many temporary and corrupt or incomplete files, but the issue for many of us can be directly attributed to iTunes match through third-party programs that reveal the phone's file tree.

Jun 8, 2015 1:41 PM in response to TheRobDog22

Thank you SOOOO much for re-posting this string. I thought my iPhone 5c was busted. I have been backing up and deleting all of my photos, deleting emails, and I only had one game loaded. But when I looked at my storage on my iTunes, it showed me having over 2GB available, but on my phone it was less than 200mb, and shrinking! I eventually did a full restore and just loaded my most recent backup. Boom, got all of my space back. I kept an eye on my phone to see if storage would drop again, but it held for a couple of days. Then, I turned on iTunes Match, and I immediately dropped 1GB in 30 minutes.

From there, I did a search on iTunes Match and storage issues, found the old thread from 2014 and the iPhone 4, and then found this thread. Obviously Apple hasn't fixed anything.

My Match subscription was just renewed, but I have no problem deactivating it on my devices and just use Spotify Premium. Yes, I pay monthly, but at least my space won't be eaten up. It's a shame, I have a lot of music on Match. Which, btw, seems to be the trigger. Those that are close to the 25k max of content seem to be the ones having issues with storage.

Hey, Apple, fix this nonsense.

Jul 14, 2015 4:01 AM in response to TheRobDog22

Same problem, I posted in the old thread, guess I'll post here too. The strangest part to me is that the service worked great for months. I signed up when my baby was born and used it EVERY morning to play the baby music for months, then one day, the storage almost full appeared. Much frustration ensued as I searched for answers and experimented for a solution. Now, I have to do the workaround every couple days if I use the service at all. Yes, I have a very large iTunes library, but completely filling a mostly-free 32gb device with some kind of meta-data is ridiculous; especially since, as I said, it didn't do this initially for months, so apple changed something and they have to be aware of the issue by now at least. I'm surprised this hasn't been reported by any of the tech press, they love to say anything, good or bad, about Apple. Hopefully with all the hype about Apple's new radio service this problem will finally see the light, as more people try out match and run into the issue, although I fear my older iphone 4 will be left behind even if they were to initiate a fix.

itunes match "other" storage space issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.