Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't transfer music from my Mac to my iPhone 5

I have recently updated my Mac to the OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1 and I've had quite a lot of trouble to transfer my music to my iPhone 5 (iOS 8.0.2). I tried doing it the same way I used to do with the old software, which was dragging the song/album to my iPhone and waiting for it to sync but now I can't drop the file onto that iPhone rectangle in the upper part of the screen. What should I do?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 6:18 AM

Good Morning, mari.choco -

The resource below explains how to manually sync music from your Mac to your iPhone. Check the section entitled "If you can't manually add or remove content from your device" to make sure the settings have not changed in the software.

Manage content manually on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593

Regards,

- Judy

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2015 6:18 AM in response to mari.choco

Good Morning, mari.choco -

The resource below explains how to manually sync music from your Mac to your iPhone. Check the section entitled "If you can't manually add or remove content from your device" to make sure the settings have not changed in the software.

Manage content manually on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593

Regards,

- Judy

Jul 2, 2015 1:51 AM in response to mari.choco

Having owned an iPhone for 2 years I have finally, today (July 2015), worked out how to transfer music and sounds not bought on iTunes, from my iMac to the iPhone.

Not sure why it was so difficult but in case others having the same problem. Here's what I did.

1. Plug iPhone into iMac (sync wirelessly/automatically/manual sync doesn't seem to have any effect)

2. Open iTunes (it should open automatically)

3. Click Playlists menu just below and to the right of the volume slider

4. Select song or group of songs (with shift click) from any Playlist (left menu bar) or Library

5. Right click on song > Add to Playlists > Find your iPhone at top of list

6. Song should now appear on iPhone !!!!!

Aug 13, 2015 2:02 AM in response to mari.choco

I just found one of the software I used to use to do this. It's called, "iTools". And it's free to transfer music from Mac to iPhone 5. I just transferred an album of music to the iPhone with it. The problem is, the mp3 tag information did not transfer along with. So the artist names do not show, and the songs don't get properly categorized. If this exists, there must be something better out there that will transfer both the songs and their id3 tags from Mac to iPhone.

I can't transfer music from my Mac to my iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.