Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Places disappearing

I was a geography major in college and collect maps. I've spent quite a bit of time geo-tagging my iPhoto pictures. I recently upgraded from a 2011 13" MacBook Pro running Mavericks to a brand new 13" retina MacBook Pro with Yosemite. My original transfer (manually, not with the Migration Assistant) went very smoothly and all of my albums, books, and places were just the way I had them on my old MacBook Pro. I have a large iPhoto library with about 150,000 pictures, 3,500+ events, 1,000 folders and 7,000 albums and 150 books.

Unfortunately, with the Yosemite version of iPhoto my places are slowly disappearing from my pictures. Each time I close and open iPhoto some of the pins have disappeared from the maps. I started putting some back manually but they're disappearing faster than I can replace them. I recently discovered that, in fact, they're actually being consolidated. All 800+ pictures I have from the Los Angeles area are now all stuck under ONE pin/location simply called "Los Angeles". If I go to the "Manage My Places" screen, all of the places I added are still there but the pictures have become detached from them.

Here is the "Manage My Places" with all of the places/pins I've manually added over time near L.A.:

User uploaded file

But here is how the Places map appears (note, I did start adding a few back manually, before there was only the one place/pin near downtown L.A.):

User uploaded file

So, before I spend too much time manually adding all my places back, why are they disappearing or consolidating? Is that bit of location information part of the JPEG? What other parts of my JPEGs are disappearing? I still have a backup of my old MacBook Pro, so I could certainly restore my old iPhoto library. But I've just spent a month taking pictures, adding captions, adding places and it would take me about a month to get caught back up! I've done all the built-in rebuilding available and run the "scan images for location" on multiple albums/folders. But it's not restoring my places.

-Doug

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2TB Time Capsule/64GB iPod touch 4g

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 11:25 AM

15 replies

Mar 3, 2015 3:15 PM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

I was noticing the places missing from my pictures from Los Angeles because I was planning a trip down there. After returning and geocoding my pictures from this trip I went back to start re-adding locations to the pictures stuck in the one pin in downtown Los Angeles (which has magically changed its name from "Los Angeles" to "Burbank City" for some mysterious reason). I spent a significant amount of time replacing the location information for about 400 pictures. When I got down to 350 left under the one pin I took a break. A few days later there are now 450 pictures attached to the one pin. The location information is leaving individual pictures and moving to that one pin. The location information for my pictures from Los Angeles is slowly merging itself into one location. Entire holes of missing pins are appearing around Seattle. Downtown should be covered but there's a big hole missing pins now. Ugh.

-Doug

Apr 30, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Bump! No one? Does no one else use the "Places"? Anyone else losing all their places as they're being replaced by one, single pin? Building up all my places over the years has worked great. Now when I manually geotag a picture, by typing the name in and choosing one of the options listed, it puts the tag in a place somewhere else (usually nearby). So, the thousands and thousands of pictures I once had tagged at the Re-Bar in Seattle are now completely gone. There's 146 pictures geotagged there according to my Places map & pins. The pins are just disappearing faster than I can put them back. Every single block on this map should have two or three pins. How do I recover the places?

User uploaded file

-Doug

Aug 10, 2015 9:50 PM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Well, I found some of the pictures missing locations in Seattle. They're strung across the Cascade Mountains. These pins are nowhere near where they're supposed to be. Some pins have thousands of pictures in them from all over Seattle. It's really odd the pins look like they're in a row (zig zag). The couple around Mount Rainer National Park and between Ellensburg and Yakima are correct. But the the other pins in between are all pictures from Seattle and not the East side of the mountains.

User uploaded file

Again, if anyone has any idea how to correct all these locations any advice would be appreciated. Selecting the pictures in one pin and running the "reascan for location" doesn't help. The original location has been altered.

-Doug

Aug 11, 2015 3:00 AM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Hi Douglas, I have been experiencing nearly all these problems over the past few weeks. The locations are just not there for loads of my pictures. This is happening on my laptop running OSX 8.10.5 and my old iMac desktop still on Lion. Both were fine previously. I thought it must be me going mad. At least now I know that is not so!!

Aug 11, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Doug:

You are using iPhoto 9.6.1, right? If you're showing us the Manage My Places map then it has to be 9.6.1. Just want to confirm.

With the introduction of iPhoto 9.5.1 Apple Maps are being used for locations instead of Google maps. If you did all your previous pinning with Google maps maybe the change to Apple maps is the root of the errors.

I don't use the location feature but Terence Devlin and LarryH do and they are more knowledgeable on it than I. They should pop in there sometime soon and can give you their take on the situation.

Unfortunately all versions of iPhoto before iPhoto 9.5.1 have lost the location feature entirely due to the fact that Apple is no longer using Google Maps at all. 😟

User uploaded file

Sep 1, 2015 7:53 PM in response to Old Toad

Yes, I have iPhoto 9.6.1. The problem wasn't immediately noticeable after the 9.5.1 update. However, my concern is that places keep disappearing. Even after adding the location manually (I have some keywords set-up for specific places) they don't all stick. If I go back and check on individual pictures with my keywords not all the pictures appear on the map. If some of the places had been altered and I could fix them so the corrected places stick I'd be much more willing to go through all these pictures. However, the locations continue to disappear.

-Doug

Nov 10, 2015 10:12 PM in response to Old Toad

Sorry for the delay. I delete that folder and have been adding/re-adding locations for my pictures that continue to disappear. For example, I've recently added locations for 100 pictures in the Castro from my most recent visit last month. Only two appear in iPhoto places. However, I've added pictures from 12 different locations in the neighborhood. Most appear in the "Manage my Places" window but not all of them do.

User uploaded file

iPhoto Places map:

User uploaded file

It seems like the entire function is completely broken.

-Doug

Dec 2, 2015 9:39 AM in response to Old Toad

What it appears to me is that the locations stick until you add a new location to a set of pictures. The "bubble" that includes the area that the pin should encompass for the new location "gobbles" up all of the pictures from any pins that appear inside the bubble. Attempting to add the location to a picture that is inside the other, newer bubble defaults to the new location not the one specified. Most of the bubbles are a mile wide or so and each time I've added one it "gobbles" up all the other pictures on pins inside the bubble. The pin for the Can Can was fairly new and before I started to notice the problem. When I added the Can Can it sucked up every picture in downtown Seattle. It's possible to change the location information to the correct location from the collection of pictures under one pin (for example the 7,000 pictures at the Can Can which are from all over downtown Seattle). However, you MUST go into the Manage My Places and shrink the encompassing bubble so that NONE of the nearby pins overlap each other. Overlapping bubbles appear to be the culprit. This is very frustrating for someone who has multiple pins on the same block.

-Doug

Dec 9, 2015 12:49 AM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Well, it just keeps getting worse and worse. Pictures that were specifically and purposefully given a location have continued to be sucked in to other locations THAT ARE NOT NEW. I thought the problem was adding new places with a "sphere" that encompassed other places. But that may be part of the problem but not all of it. Places are being combined with other places in locations that I've specifically whittled down the encompassing circle without touching any of them or adding new photos nearby. Pictures with keywords for specific locations continue to be added to OTHER places even though I have not added new pictures to a new place nearby. I guess it's just a lost cause.

In addition, Apple Maps continues to not allow me to place address at the correct location on the map for a "new" old location. The pin here is 1100 East Pine and NOT 508 East Pine Street in Seattle. I can't even add back the missing places because Apple Maps puts them six blocks away.

User uploaded file

-Doug

Jan 4, 2016 10:59 PM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Well, I just watched the pin for The Crescent Lounge add 2,000 pictures from every pin for one block around the pin. I assigned 25 pictures to The Crescent Lounge location which suddenly called itself "Seattle" on the map on the little preview (as in the picture above). When I went to the Places map there are now 2,009 pictures in the pin.

I am unable to re-assign the locations fast enough to keep up with the pins pulling all the other locations in. I spent a couple of hours today separating 3,000 pictures from one other pin that should have been in 25 pins from a mile around.

-Doug

User uploaded file

Jan 4, 2016 11:37 PM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Ηave you checked the size of the radius of the circle around your named places? If the circle is to large, it will swallow all pins within the circle. How many pins are displayed will depend on the zoom level.i always take care that the radius of a place is is only a few meters.

have you checked, if the photos that apparently lost there location information are only displayed incorrectly on the map, but still have the correct gps positions? You can check that by exporting the edited version with places included and then comparing the gps tags in the Finder in the info panel or in Preview. The gps tab in preview will show you the actual location on the map.

Places disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.