Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't import mp3 files into iTunes

Just recently, I find that I can't drag/drop (or import) .mp3 files into iTunes (12.1.0.50).

I did confirm that the files aren't locked.

Any ideas? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 12:22 PM

5 replies

Feb 16, 2015 1:17 PM in response to sharpeiboy

No mp3 files from any source, including iTunes itself, or just some particular batch of mp3s files from some unspecified source? It isn't unusual for some encoders to produce mp3s that are not compliant with iTunes. You can try using the application MP3 Scan+Repair (http://triq.net/mac/mp3-validator-mac-os-x) to fix them but sometimes you have to re-encode them. Try playing with Quicktime Player instead and report if it will play the files.

Oh, it also isn't unusual that files do not have labels built in. They are adding to iTunes but not ending up where you expect them to be.

Feb 16, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the tips.

The .mp3s are from an unspecified source, but this has happened from more than one source. I tried the MP3 Scan and Repair, which said that it fixed the file, but I still couldn't play it within the application or within iTunes.

I CAN play it in Quicktime.

Also, I had some that successfully imported about two weeks ago, now I don't seem in my iTunes library.

Could it be something with iTunes Match?

Feb 16, 2015 11:10 PM in response to sharpeiboy

Despite many conspiracy theories, iTunes is probably not designed to randomly delete music. The only way I know of for iTunes to be responsible for quasi-deleting content is if the library file is corrupt which sometimes happens when a new version is installed. Even then the media files are still around but their entry in the library has been truncated.

I don't see that iTunes Match would have anything to do with it unless you're talking about your library on your phone or something.

I can't import mp3 files into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.