Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i got this flashing question mark, i did some research into this and found out that the hard drive is the cause

i recently found my ibook and decided to see if it would still turn on. it did but i got this flashing question mark, i did some research into this and found out that the hard drive is the cause. so i opened it up replaced the hard drive and closed it up, booted from the disc and crossed my fingers but it did not pick up the hard drive. i thought it might not have been installed properly, so i opened it up to check the connections to make shure they were secure and closed it back up but now it wont even boot from the disc. so dose anyone know whats wrong with it because i really don't just want throw it away if its a simple fix. please if anyone know i would greatly appreciate it.

<Re-Titled By Host>

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 4:55 PM

6 replies

Feb 18, 2015 4:36 PM in response to jones1186

There often were more than one build of Apple computer per model number designation...

In the instance of iBook (white dualUSB) there appear to be two with number A-1007.

And both of these were 14-inch display models.

•iBook G3/800 14-Inch (32 VRAM - Tr) 800 MHz PowerPC 750fx (G3)

•iBook G3/900 14-Inch (Early 2003 - Op) 900 MHz PowerPC 750fx (G3)

•Apple iBook Specs (All iBook Technical Specs) for entire series - everymac:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/index-ibook.html

There are a few fairly good repair guides online, some on http://iFixit.com site.

Here's the link to the early iBook G3 series, includes color + white dualUSB.

If your iBook is a 14-inch G3 white dualUSB model that one is there, too:

•iBook G3 Repair guides - iFixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G3

Either of these may be able to run a system no later than OS X Tiger 10.4.11.

So a system install disc set could be used to troubleshoot, install, restore &

prepare a replacement hard drive for a new system.

Not certain what the issues are behind your situation, there may be more than

meets the eye. Some models of iBook were more prone to hardware problems

and as they age, fewer opportunities to affordably repair them exist.

Good luck in resolving the iBook G3 issues...! 🙂

Feb 18, 2015 6:34 PM in response to K Shaffer

I've been using that I fix it site thee I first pulled out the Mac, and I found a few ways to reset stuff on it to locate the hard drive but its still not working it boots from the CD but Does not locate the hard drive so I don't know if they'r Is something wrong with the hard drive if it's not formatted correctly or if there's something wrong with my logic board

Feb 20, 2015 12:29 PM in response to jones1186

Without an externally (FW) enclosed hard drive or second Mac which may be used

with FireWire Target Disk Mode, troubleshooting the internal hard drive in a PPC Mac

may be difficult. These prefer to boot from FireWire external drives; and a new install

could be put on one, if correctly formatted for use, and if the FW drive has a chip-set

in the enclosure that is recognized by the computer's hardware & OS X.

The internal hard disk drive and cable, may be worth looking into. A replacement of

each could be warranted as part of the troubleshooting; given the access problems

in opening up these iBook computers, additional damage may result.

Sorry to not have a specific answer to your question(s).

Good luck in any event...! 😐

i got this flashing question mark, i did some research into this and found out that the hard drive is the cause

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.