Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LED Cinema Display 27" backlight problem

I have a LED Cinema Display 27" and the last couple of weeks it started having problems.

When I connect my macbook pro (2011) with the mini displayport cable, it flashes shortly and the screen stays black.

If I take my flashlight and look very closely at the screen, I can see my apps. The sound works, the macbook pro display is extended to a second screen, the usb work, etc.

So my backlight is having problems. But when I take my power plug out of the socket for a minute, and put it back, the screen turns on and it works flawless! I read some other posts with similar problems but I didn't seem to find what part to replace. The screen is still very bright, no flickering, etc now. Until the next day when I take away my macbook and come back and plug in my macbook pro again, then it happens again and I should do the whole routine again.

I want to know which part I should buy and replace?

• The power supply inside --> Don't think this is it, because my macbook charges just fine
  • The all-in-one cable --> Don't think this is it. There are no parts of the cable damaged, and everything works fine for hours after the backlight comes back on.
  • The LCD backlight --> It workes fine and is still very bright when the problem doesn't occur.
  • The logic board --> Could this be it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 4:18 PM

1 reply

Jan 20, 2016 11:05 AM in response to JSS540

Hi there. I have the same display with the same problem. I have just replaced the "Function cable" and the multifunction cable that goes from the power supply board to the logic board (12 connectors) and this has not solved the problem. Like you, if I play around with the cables, the display comes to life. I have found that if I repeatedly plug and unplug the Displayport cable from my backbook, the display comes to life. Like you, when the display seems dead, if I shine a flashlight into the display, I can see the desktop displayed. The problem is therefore that the backlight does not always come on when it should. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

LED Cinema Display 27" backlight problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.